Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

VoltesDev
Helper IV
Helper IV

Get Data from Power BI Desktop using Azure Data Lake Gen2

Dear experts,

Is anybody can guide me how to use Data Lake Gen2 from Power BI Desktop ?

On the URL, which part of the URL I should key in and how to bring all those files so that we can use it inside Power BI Desktop ? and threat  those files as tables so we can create Data Model after it.

Sorry for this many question for start.

Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @VoltesDev,

>>I want to connect it directly in Power BI Dekstop, so not from Power BI Services Data Flow.

AFAIK, power bi desktop already supports the azure data lake gen2 connector, you can use this to directly get data from your data sources.

>>But I do want to import it one time only. So Get Data one time only to import all those  files and be a separate Tables each in Power BI Desktop,

In fact, your scenario not able to directly get data and split them to subquery form on data source. Power bi gets data step will auto-create multiple query tables if you choose multiple target tables.(duplicate connector data step and navigation to specific target data tables)

Your scenario needs to further analyse and recognize the contents of table records. I'd like to suggest you create a main table to navigation to the sub-level, then you can create query tables to 'reference' main table and add custom navigation step to point to corresponding data tables.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thanks @amitchandak 

I found that also, but first of all, I want to connect it directly in Power BI Dekstop, so not from Power BI Services Data Flow.

The 2nd link is almost near, but it suggested me to click the binary, which is fine if we have only 1 TXT file, but I have more than 10, it is looks tedious since it is mean when click Binary at one line means it only imported 1 (table) only. Then I have to re-do to connect again and click Binary for the 2nd row which means 2nd table... and so on. Means 10 files, then 10 repeating actions.

VoltesDev_0-1604052251320.png

The 3rd link is not suitable for me as it is to Combine all the files, which in my case, I need to have it separated as they were. Each files served it own purposes and have it own structure.

Thanks

You can combine files with this button

Adamtall_0-1604052860759.png

Thanks, but I don't want to Combine. 

But I do want to import it one time only. So Get Data one time only to import all those  files and be a separate Tables each in Power BI Desktop,

Thanks,

Adamtall
Resolver III
Resolver III

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.