Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

twister8889
Helper V
Helper V

Get Data from Multiple Excel Files with multiples Sheet and separate each sheet by table

Hi guys,

I need help to implement the load by multiples excel files from folder/SharePoint. I have a folder that contains a lot of excel file, all the excel files have the same structure (The same sheet quantity: sheet1, sheet2, sheet3, and sheet4; the same struct sheet, the same sheet name, but each sheet is different from each other). So I need to load theses excel files, after that, I need to create the columns by excel file name (because the excel name will be the filter into the dashboard). I would like to create tables into the model for each sheet, for example, one table to sheet1, sheet2, ...

Basically the problem is: How to load theses excel files into power bi and separate, to each sheet be the table and use the excel name as a column for each table?

Here are excel files: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoDYwrtLrltJn1AmP9R-vWOWRP_w?e=3XqaKQ

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@twister8889 - I think you will need to have a Folder query for each of your sheets that you want as a table. @ImkeF or @edhans might know better.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
edhans
Super User
Super User

You are going to have to do this 4 times. You can get all sheets in all excel files at once by clicking on the "parameters" folder once you click on combine. That will get all 4 sheets. But, your sheets are not in the same format, so any further transformations will have to be custom. Sheet 1 is the same in files 1 and 2, but Sheet 2 is not the same as sheet 1. So each pair needs its own transformation.

edhans_0-1599575733642.png

To get the sheet name, you need to make sure that the "Remove Other Columns1" step in the Combine operation retains the Source.Name column.

edhans_1-1599575983040.png

I do not understand your question though "... each sheet be the table and use the excel name as a column for each table." Each sheet as a table is easy in the combine operation. Do Sheet 1 first, then repeat the combine operation for 2, 3, and 4. But what do you mean use the Excel name as a column for each table exactly? If you mean have a column with the file name, then my direction above will do that.

If you mean something else, please clarify.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@twister8889 - I think you will need to have a Folder query for each of your sheets that you want as a table. @ImkeF or @edhans might know better.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@twister8889 , you should be able to load like

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/combining-excel-files-hosted-on-a-sharepoint-folder/

and get new data

https://medium.com/@wkrzywiec/getting-data-from-the-latest-file-in-a-folder-using-power-query-51dfa4...

Now if need table for each table that would be like load one excel create the model and the get all other data appended.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.