Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ovetteabejuela
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Get Data from Folder | File in Error | Pinpointing?

Hi,

Ket's just say for example I have the files(multiple excel or csv) that I need in a folder.

When I tried to refresh the query an error appeared, you know one of those "The column Date is missing..." any generic error.

Is there a way for me to check through PowerBI which among those multiple files in the folder is causing the error?

What I usually do is isolation, which I think is a stupid idea - there must be a better way of knowing.

5 REPLIES 5
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @ovetteabejuela,

What error messages did you get?

Per my knowledge, the most direct way is to connect to those files one by one to find out which file causes connection error.

Besides, you could try to analysis trace log file. Go to File->Option and settings->Options->Diagnostics, checkbox  "Enable tracing". Here's a good tool to analysis the logs: Power BI Desktop Trace Logs Analyser

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I will give it a try.

This doesn't give me the information I need, I have a sample error but as I said this could apply to any error that arises during "Refresh".

In this scenario I have 5 Excel Files in a folder, they are expected to have the same format but sometimes 1 or 2 may divert form the process and thus an error, the error that was raised this time was:

which_file_now..PNG

Okay based on that, how can I easily tell which of the 5 files is causing the error? Could PowerBI just tell me which one of those 5 is causing this? What I'm doing is isolation, group into smaller groups but again as I said that is stupid and non-productive (what if I have hundreds of files in there? That would take a lot of time for me to isolate the problem.

And here's another one...

which_file_now 2.PNG

That "Load was cancelled by an error is loading a previous table" - IS NOT VERY HELPFUL --- which previous table?

I have this issue as well and apart from spending the time to write a specific function or script to find files (I have csv files) that don't have specified column headers, it seems very difficult to find where Power Query ran into an issue and stopped.

Has anyone found a way to work through this?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.