Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PetyrBaelish
Resolver III
Resolver III

Get Data - SharePoint folder

I have a SharePoint Online site used to store 'ad hoc' data sources - basically a place to store csv files and excel spreadsheets. I use SharePoint premissions to control access.

The site is set up to use multiple document libraries, as such:

Doc Library A - stores HR csv data, accessible to users A-G

DOc Library B - stores Finance csv data, accessible to users F-M

Doc Library C - stores ICT csv data, accessible to users J-P

The csv files in each library are of an identical format and a new csv file is generated every week and the data naturally appends.

I first set this up when only Doc Library A existed In Power BI I get the data by the "SharePoint folder" option and combine the data for everything in Doc Library A. It works perfectly.

Now I'm attempting to repeat the process for Doc Library B, but when I select Get Data - SharePoint Folder and put in the URL of the site, it's brining back data from all 3 document libraries (I have permission to see them all -and many of the users can see multiple libraries). How can I restrict this to just a single library without having to manually filter bits out?

Is it the case that Power BI can only see a site as the most granular logical container? That doesn't make sense as Power BI and SharePoint are both MIcrosoft Office 365 products. My SharePoint structure isn't set up in a way whereby I'd separate the libraries into different sites, I need Power BI to get data just from a document library, is this possible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PetyrBaelish ,

I am afraid that you are not able to directly connect to SharePoint Form Library in Power BI Desktop, an idea about this issue has been submitted in this link, please vote it up.

In your scenario, as a workaround, push data to Excel firstly and then connect to the Excel file in Power BI Desktop.

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PetyrBaelish ,

I am afraid that you are not able to directly connect to SharePoint Form Library in Power BI Desktop, an idea about this issue has been submitted in this link, please vote it up.

In your scenario, as a workaround, push data to Excel firstly and then connect to the Excel file in Power BI Desktop.

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Thanks for your response,

When connecting to my data using SharePoint folder I'm able to filter it based on the folder path - it's OK as there's only 3 libraries in use but this isn't great should I be working on a site with 50+ libraries.

Just to confirm I was referring to SharPoint document libraries rather than form libraries (as mentioned in the link your provide) - although from what I can gather that doesn't actually make a difference.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.