Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Get Data SAP Business Warehouse Application Server

I haven't used Power BI outside of spreadsheets as my main source of data.  However, I am going to be using it as the front end reporting tool of SAP BW.

I have figured out a couple of connections to SAP BW and understand connecting to the Server, System ID and the Client ID.  I have been able to access the servers where I have to enter my password  into SAP.  The problem I am having is with SAP Servers where I have Single System Signon.  I follow the same processes but once I enter my user ID and password, I get a message saying:

Unable to connect, We encountered an error while trying to connect, SAP Business Warehouse: You have no password; you cannot log on using a password.

I can click Retry, Edit or Cancel.  Retry won't work... Same error message.  Edit takes me back to server/system ID/Client ID which remains the same.  It does not take me back to the logon panel with User ID and Password panel to try it with just my User ID.  I am accessing servers that I am authorized to use and can log into with my SAP ID...  This issue is only with the servers that use SSS.

How does one get back to the Logon panel?  I have tried using Get Data and using another SAP source, getting onto that source, then going back to Get Data to access the SSS server again.  I get the logon error message.  I have logged off and back on.  I have tried closing the application and reopening it.  I have used Task Manager to shut down the Power BI application and then gone back in.  All to no avail.  I have only been successful when rebooting my computer.

Am I missing something in the process?  I am going to be going between a Sandbox and a Dev Server.

Which leads me to another question of switching servers for a specific report when I do Development against the Dev Server, versus having to report out of the Production servers...  Is this possible?  Or should I just build on the Production Server?

Sorry for the length of the question...  I can split out the last one to no muddy the waters, so-to-speak.

Thank you.

Lou

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

If you want to change the credential of the datasource. You can do it in :

Capture1.PNGCapture2.PNG

The second question is not very clear to me. Do you want to change the data source for current file? You can do it in :

Capture3.PNGCapture4.PNG

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

If you want to change the credential of the datasource. You can do it in :

Capture1.PNGCapture2.PNG

The second question is not very clear to me. Do you want to change the data source for current file? You can do it in :

Capture3.PNGCapture4.PNG

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-deddai1-msft Thanks for the reply...  It got me to where I was going.

As for the last question that seems like it will work.  Being from an SAP background, I am used to doing transports and promotions rather than changing the environments in a report...  This will be very interesting if this works in this fashion.

I am trying to Accept your post as the solution but none of my MSFT browsers are letting me do so...  Java error, even though I am running Java.  I'll figure it out and accept the solution when I do .

Thanks again for the assists.

Lou

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.