Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Get Data - Power BI Disabled - Line error

Hi All,

I am currently using the Power BI on a Free Trial where I am trying to convince my boss it is worth the subscription.

I have come across this error multiple times where I "get data" but it only comes up with this line in the middle and disables all functions except for the ESC key.

The whole point of my this is because I'm trying to showcase to my boss how flexible Power BI is, and how we could integrate data received from people without them having a local excel spreadsheet, as we are trying to have the data cloud-based.

This error occurs when:

- I move my local excel file into a different folder and attempt to relocate the Excel file via "get data"

- I attempt to "get data" via web (google spreadsheets)

Things I have done to try fix this:

- Clean uninstall and reinstall

- Recreating a whole new Power BI data report (works for relocating, but such a time-waster... Not worth it)

- Phoned a friend who uses Power BI (he doesn't know the fix either)

Does this error happen because I am on a Trial?

If so, this makes it a bit annoying as I would have to pay for the trial out of my pocket and then unsubscribe to resubscribe the payments to my company, including forms I have to fill out, etc for reimbursement.

Thanks,

Guysen

See below screenshot of the error:

Untitled.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous 

Please uninstall and re-install

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45331

As @jmalone  mentioned there cannot be any functionality wise restrictions, few limitations are there will the trial version. 
@v-qiuyu-msft  - Please advise on this.

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Leo,

I've managed to resolve the issue through ACTUALLY installing Power BI through your website link instead of the Microsoft Store

The issue was with the Microsoft Store installer.

Everything works fine after an uninstall and reinstall via the website link.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous 

Kindly share the PBIX file.

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

The error isn't with a specific PBIX file, it occurs with a new, or existing file.

It seems to be a program error itself.

I can keep creating new clean PBIX files, and it will come up with the same error with get data.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous 

Please uninstall and re-install

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45331

As @jmalone  mentioned there cannot be any functionality wise restrictions, few limitations are there will the trial version. 
@v-qiuyu-msft  - Please advise on this.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous  I have now uninstalled and re-installed 3 times.

I have also signed out of the desktop app.

The problem seems to be with the computer running Power BI?

It's at the point where when I try to sign in on the desktop app, it ALWAYS crashes..

The Line also still shows up..

I've tried it on my personal laptop at home, which works fine, but I just can't seem to get it to work on my office workstation....

I'm at a loss on what to do now..

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous 

Issue might be in your work PC. You have tested already with another PC so its working fine.

If you're on Office 365, try doing a repair of that. ( Repair from Control panel, NOT re-install okay), sometimes office plays up big time. also make sure you are on latest version of windows as well.

Try to check the application log to see if there are any possible errors while trying to install.. That's all i can suggest for now.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Leo,

I've managed to resolve the issue through ACTUALLY installing Power BI through your website link instead of the Microsoft Store

The issue was with the Microsoft Store installer.

Everything works fine after an uninstall and reinstall via the website link.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am also unfortunately unable to create a Microsoft support ticket for Power BI as I am a Pro trial user...

jmalone
Resolver III
Resolver III

I'm not sure what is causing this error, but Trial vs Pro license should have nothing to do with it. The Power BI Desktop is free to use with full functionality enabled.

The limits on Trial/free version only apply to the Service and revolve around sharing your published report with others.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.