Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

timlang_yvr

Get Data - Error fetching columns metadata

Using Office 365 / Excel 2016 (32bit) Version 1808 (Build 10730.20102 CTR) - Semi Annual Channel.

We have an Oracle DB, for which I have created various PowerPivot reports in Excel.  We have the Oracle ODAC client on several machines, and it has been working great for years now.  When opening an existing spreadsheet and refreshing the data, it continues to work great.  The problem is if I try to create any new queries to our Oracle server, I can see the list of tables and views just fine, but when I try to preview, edit or load any of them, I get the following error:

DataSource.Error: An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'Fetching of 'Columns' MetaData from the Database failed'

I tried this from 3 different computers which all had the ODAC connector installed, and got the same error.  If I simply open an excel document with existing queries and refresh, no problem at all.

I was using version 12.1 of the Oracle ODAC package, so I tried upgrading to the latest 12.2 ODAC instead, and still the same error.    This is the 32bit ODAC to match up with my 32bit Excel.  

We have two Oracle servers, one running Oracle 11 and the other running Oracle 12.  Same issue with both.

The last time I tried to create a new Oracle query was around 2 months ago, so it would appear that something has broken between then any now.

Any suggestions?

2018-10-11_17-13-23.png

3 REPLIES 3
Vanessa250919
Helper IV
Helper IV

I have exactly the same issue ... any solution ?

v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @timlang_yvr

I have tested on my side, I can not reproduce the issue. 

You can go to File -> Options and settings -> Options -> Diagnostics and click "enable tracing", then connect to your data source and check the detailed logs in the traces folder.

if not your case, You could also create a support ticket.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I have the same issue, any solution ? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.