Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Geolocation Search

Hi,

I have venues locations (Lat, Long & Address) located on a map in Power BI.

I want my user to fill out an address and a radius to filter only on venue located in the target area.

Is there a way to get Lat & Long with an address ?

Any suggestions on this point ?

At this time, i created measures "Long", "Lat" where i store a target location. Then, i added a new column "distance" which calculates the distance between the point (Lat,Long) and the point of the current line.

I display this value on my dashboard Sans titre.png

Is there a way to change this measures directly from the dashboard ? 

Any suggestions/experiences on this subject is appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous

Is there a way to get Lat & Long with an address ?

As Smoupre suggests, Bing Maps services are good choice. I was searching and would like to share some findings interesting.

Web Services And POST Requests In Power Query

Find a Location by Address

Since Power Query is integrated in Power BI, so that seems a promising approach.

I hope my findings can give you a good start.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Thanks for your help !

I import an excel file of venues with coordinates (Lat & Long) in Power BI and my aim is to calculate the distance between a user and each venue.

User address is in another table (3 fields : address / lat / long). I want to change from Power BI manually the user address and to get automatically its lat & long to calculte the distance.

I wrote a Power Query request to get automatically coordinates of the address and I imported it into Power BI.

It works but for changing user address i need to edit in Excel my table and refresh it in Power BI.

I tried to change address value from Power BI but it updated my Power Query code ... 

Is there a way to update manually table value without changing Power Query request from Power BI ?

My Power Query Code (it mays help people) :

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("FILE"), null, true),
    Address = Source{0}[Address_user],
    Address2 = Source{0}[Address_user],
    GetAddress = Web.Contents("http://maps.google.com/maps/api/geocode/json?address=" & Address),
    GetAddress2 = Web.Contents("http://maps.google.com/maps/api/geocode/json?address=" & Address2),
    ImportedJSON = Json.Document(GetAddress),   
    ImportedJSON2 = Json.Document(GetAddress2),  
    results = ImportedJSON[results],
    results2 = ImportedJSON2[results],
    Latitude1 = results{0},
    Latitude2 = results2{0},
    geometry = Latitude1[geometry],
    geometry2 = Latitude2[geometry],
    location = geometry[location][lat],
    longitude = geometry2[location][lng], 
    Tableau2_Table = Source{[Item="Tableau2",Kind="Table"]}[Data],
    #"Type modifié" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Tableau2_Table,{{"Address_user", type text}, {"Latitude_user", type number}, {"Longitude_user", type number}}),
    #"Valeur remplacée1" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Type modifié",Source{0}[Latitude_user],location,Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Latitude_user"}),
    #"Valeur remplacée2" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Valeur remplacée1",Source{0}[Longitude_user],longitude,Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Longitude_user"})   
in
    #"Valeur remplacée2"

I added a column distance in my venue table with this formula in Power BI :

Distance_km = 6371*((2*ASIN(SQRT((SIN((RADIANS(Tableau2[Lat_user])-RADIANS(VALUE([Coord_X])))/2)^2)+COS(RADIANS(Tableau2[Lat_user]))*COS(RADIANS(VALUE([Coord_X])))*(SIN((RADIANS(Tableau2[Long_user])-RADIANS(VALUE([Coord_Y])))/2)^2)))))
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous - There is no facility within Power BI that I know of to do that, you would have to use a service like Bing Maps.

https://www.microsoft.com/maps/developer-resources.aspx

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.