Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

soniajs
Frequent Visitor

Generating table from exiting table

Hi

I have a dataset like the below one:

Accounting MonthNameServiceSales
01-08-2020AmitIT1000
01-01-2021SaranyaCall Center4000

I need to generate the table with  projected numbers for Sales till the financial year end and the resulted table should like the below one.

Accounting MonthNameServiceSales
01-08-2020AmitIT1000
01-09-2020AmitIT1000
01-10-2020AmitIT1000
01-11-2020AmitIT1000
01-12-2020AmitIT1000
01-01-2021AmitIT1000
01-02-2021AmitIT1000
01-03-2021AmitIT1000
01-01-2021SaranyaCall Center4000
01-02-2021SaranyaCall Center4000
01-03-2021SaranyaCall Center4000

Is this possible in power BI? 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
FrankAT
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @soniajs 

with your dataset and your explanation - end of fiscal year is march - I get the following result with M-Code:

// Table
let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjDUNbDQNTIwMlDSUXLMzSwBUp4hQMLQwMBAKVYHosISpiI4sSgxrzIRyHJOzMlRcE7NK0ktAvJMwKpjAQ==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Accounting Month" = _t, Name = _t, Service = _t, Sales = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Accounting Month", type date}, {"Name", type text}, {"Service", type text}, {"Sales", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Inserted End of Year" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "End of Year", each if Date.Month([Accounting Month]) > 3 then #date(Date.Year([Accounting Month]) + 1,3,1) else #date(Date.Year([Accounting Month]),3,1), type date),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted End of Year", "Custom", each {Number.From([Accounting Month])..Number.From([End of Year])}),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom"),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Custom",{{"Custom", type date}}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type1", each (Date.Day([Custom])= 1)),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Filtered Rows",{"Accounting Month", "End of Year"}),
    #"Reordered Columns" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Removed Columns",{"Custom", "Name", "Service", "Sales"}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Reordered Columns",{{"Custom", "Accounting"}})
in
    #"Renamed Columns"

27-08-_2020_13-00-26.png

With kind regards from the town where the legend of the 'Pied Piper of Hamelin' is at home
FrankAT (Proud to be a Datanaut)

View solution in original post

Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@soniajs 

In Power BI, go to Modeling Tab > New Table and paste below code:
One clarification: In your example, Saranya should start from 1/9/2020 but you showed from 1/1/2021, any reason?

Sales Projected = 

SELECTCOLUMNS(	
	GENERATE(
		SalesData,		
		VAR CURRENTDATE = SalesData[Accounting Month]
		VAR TOTALMONTHS =
	    DATEDIFF (CURRENTDATE,
	        DATE ( IF ( MONTH ( CURRENTDATE ) > 3, YEAR ( CURRENTDATE ) + 1, YEAR ( CURRENTDATE ) ), 3, 1 ),MONTH) + 1
	    VAR MONTHS =
	    GENERATE (
	        GENERATESERIES ( MONTH ( CURRENTDATE ), TOTALMONTHS + MONTH ( CURRENTDATE ) - 1 ),
	        ROW ( "ACCMONTH", DATE ( YEAR ( CURRENTDATE ), [Value], 1 ) )
	    )
	    RETURN
	    MONTHS
	),	
	"ACCOUNTING MONTH", [ACCMONTH],
	"NAME", SalesData[NAME],
	"SERVICE",SalesData[Service],
	"SALES", SalesData[Sales]
)

Fowmy_0-1598533679938.png

If my answer was helpful, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it

Click on the Thumbs-Up icon if you like this reply 🙂

YouTube  LinkedIn

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@soniajs 

In Power BI, go to Modeling Tab > New Table and paste below code:
One clarification: In your example, Saranya should start from 1/9/2020 but you showed from 1/1/2021, any reason?

Sales Projected = 

SELECTCOLUMNS(	
	GENERATE(
		SalesData,		
		VAR CURRENTDATE = SalesData[Accounting Month]
		VAR TOTALMONTHS =
	    DATEDIFF (CURRENTDATE,
	        DATE ( IF ( MONTH ( CURRENTDATE ) > 3, YEAR ( CURRENTDATE ) + 1, YEAR ( CURRENTDATE ) ), 3, 1 ),MONTH) + 1
	    VAR MONTHS =
	    GENERATE (
	        GENERATESERIES ( MONTH ( CURRENTDATE ), TOTALMONTHS + MONTH ( CURRENTDATE ) - 1 ),
	        ROW ( "ACCMONTH", DATE ( YEAR ( CURRENTDATE ), [Value], 1 ) )
	    )
	    RETURN
	    MONTHS
	),	
	"ACCOUNTING MONTH", [ACCMONTH],
	"NAME", SalesData[NAME],
	"SERVICE",SalesData[Service],
	"SALES", SalesData[Sales]
)

Fowmy_0-1598533679938.png

If my answer was helpful, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it

Click on the Thumbs-Up icon if you like this reply 🙂

YouTube  LinkedIn

soniajs
Frequent Visitor

Thank you very much @Fowmy  . The solution given by you works perfectly.

You are welcome!

FrankAT
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @soniajs 

with your dataset and your explanation - end of fiscal year is march - I get the following result with M-Code:

// Table
let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjDUNbDQNTIwMlDSUXLMzSwBUp4hQMLQwMBAKVYHosISpiI4sSgxrzIRyHJOzMlRcE7NK0ktAvJMwKpjAQ==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Accounting Month" = _t, Name = _t, Service = _t, Sales = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Accounting Month", type date}, {"Name", type text}, {"Service", type text}, {"Sales", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Inserted End of Year" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "End of Year", each if Date.Month([Accounting Month]) > 3 then #date(Date.Year([Accounting Month]) + 1,3,1) else #date(Date.Year([Accounting Month]),3,1), type date),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted End of Year", "Custom", each {Number.From([Accounting Month])..Number.From([End of Year])}),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom"),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Custom",{{"Custom", type date}}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type1", each (Date.Day([Custom])= 1)),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Filtered Rows",{"Accounting Month", "End of Year"}),
    #"Reordered Columns" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Removed Columns",{"Custom", "Name", "Service", "Sales"}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Reordered Columns",{{"Custom", "Accounting"}})
in
    #"Renamed Columns"

27-08-_2020_13-00-26.png

With kind regards from the town where the legend of the 'Pied Piper of Hamelin' is at home
FrankAT (Proud to be a Datanaut)

Thank you very much @FrankAT . The solution given by you works. 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@soniajs , one way - YTD should to for you

YTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales]),DATESYTD('Date'[Date],"3/31"))

To get the best of the time intelligence function. Make sure you have a date calendar and it has been marked as the date in model view. Also, join it with the date column of your fact/s. Refer :
https://radacad.com/creating-calendar-table-in-power-bi-using-dax-functions
https://www.archerpoint.com/blog/Posts/creating-date-table-power-bi
https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/creating-a-simple-date-table-in-dax/

See if my webinar on Time Intelligence can help: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Webinars-and-Video-Gallery/PowerBI-Time-Intelligence-Calendar-WTD-Y...

Appreciate your Kudos.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.