Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Generating a huge table from a compacted table in exccel

Hi,

I have a refrence table in exccel that is created by the user. The table looks like below. I need to generate another table based on this table but with each row repreasenting one peice of data:

A1                     A2                   A3           From           To

MEW 0        20688495         BORID          1                140

20F3301           CHIRT           1                316

20F3301           FOODO          317            450

20F3301            SASY             451              600

MEW 1       20688494             BORID           1                160

20F2124              CHIRT           1                218

20F2124              SASY            219           409

20F2124              FII                  410            550

Now, I need to generate the same table but every row from 1 to last digit should be generated, instead of 8 rows I will have 160+550+140+2=852 rows in total. I couldn't think of any automated solution to generate it in PBI,

Please let have your comments and replies to this issue?

Many thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

What is the logic of 160+550+140+2?

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ashish_MathurThanks,

I have the ranges as you see in the first post. Now, I need to compare the big table created from these data ranges with another facts table and find the matches and return the values in A3 column. It doesn't sound so right way of doing this job, But I don't know how to use a function like INDEX() MATCH() in Excel or anything which works the same way in Excel?!

Thanks

OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

I would usually do this sort of thing in Power Query by creating a list column then expanding it.

Here is some sample code which you can tweak to suit your needs. The important steps are highlighted.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("bZDBCsMgDIZfZeTcQxKj0+O2TuZhCO1gDOn7v8aMK6zUHtTo/5F8WAo87+8TwgCMznsJtpbXPKWxnqRLEJahQCOiMaiPt0eaXitgyPVAzHnMLTzXXexBj/kyf1qmF4c/QmXoLyN7GbdtxMSyk2HyPbBOYgo6D0NPxJQ0Iv0Hq7LLFw==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [A1 = _t, A2 = _t, A3 = _t, From = _t, To = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"A1", type text}, {"A2", type text}, {"A3", type text}, {"From", Int64.Type}, {"To", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Changed Type","",null,Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"A1"}),
    #"Filled Down" = Table.FillDown(#"Replaced Value",{"A1"}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Filled Down", "Number", each {[From]..[To]}),
    #"Expanded Range" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Custom", "Number"),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Range",{{"Number", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Changed Type1",{"From", "To"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.