Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Generate a data source from a SQL Stored Procedure with one parameter coming from drillthrough field

I have a Power BI report in DirectQuery Mode. In page 1, the user selects a field named PartNumberKey (which is an integer) and on drill-through, the report navigates to the next page which displays a table showing sales details for the selected PartNumberKey. Now there are around 8000+ PartNumberKeys and for each PartnumberKey, the table returns 4000-5000 rows. So populating the entire table is taking 2-3 hours. So I created a SQL SP with PartNumberKey as parameter and when I run it in SSMS it returns sales details in 1-2 seconds. 

The SP is like : EXEC Fact.usp_Average_Monthly_Demand 157994

Is there anyhow I can execute this data source dynamically and populate the table automatically as per the selected PartNumberKey in the first page? 

PS: If required, I can use this query in Import Mode as Composite Models is available as a preview feature.

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

#1, current power bi not support to invoke 'Stored procedure' in 'direct query' mode, please use import mode to instead.

#2, You can't extract value from data view level and use it as query parameter to generate new data model tables.

Data level: Left side can effect right side, right side can't effect left side.

Database -> query table(power query, query parameter, custom functions) -> data model(calculate table/column, RLS) -> data view(visual data, different level filter, slicers, measure).

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft,

Is there any support or movement on PowerBI's side to implement the ability to invoke a "Stored Procedure" in "Direct Query" mode in the near-future? This functionality would be well received by all if it could be done. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.