Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

myk83
Frequent Visitor

Generate A Target Using Data

I'd like to display some targets and KPIs relating to the data I have in my report, but the visualisations always require a field to do this, and I don't have a field in my data to do that so I need to create a new one.  I want to be able to generate targets based on a constant value multiplied by some information within my data, e.g. Target = 500 * number of working days this month to date.

I've tried used a Calculated Measure to do a distinctcount of the number of days I have data for, but it returns 366 all the time, and if I do it using [Day] instead of [Date] on my date field it just gives me 31, so for some reason it's not counting my data properly.

Is it possible to use a formula to generate these kinds of targets?

I'm more used to using Crystal Reports where I know my way around the data and systems and what it can/can't do!

4 REPLIES 4
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@myk83 wrote:

I'd like to display some targets and KPIs relating to the data I have in my report, but the visualisations always require a field to do this, and I don't have a field in my data to do that so I need to create a new one.  I want to be able to generate targets based on a constant value multiplied by some information within my data, e.g. Target = 500 * number of working days this month to date.

I've tried used a Calculated Measure to do a distinctcount of the number of days I have data for, but it returns 366 all the time, and if I do it using [Day] instead of [Date] on my date field it just gives me 31, so for some reason it's not counting my data properly.

Is it possible to use a formula to generate these kinds of targets?

I'm more used to using Crystal Reports where I know my way around the data and systems and what it can/can't do!

Supposing there's a calendar table in your case. Try a measure as

Target =
    * CALCULATE (
        COUNTROWS ( 'calendar table' ),
        'calendar table'[isWorkingDay] = 1,
        'calendar table'[Date] <= TODAY (),
        'calendar table'[Date]
            > TODAY () - DAY ( TODAY () )
    )

I tried to create a new table that contained all the dates, but I'm struggling to understand it all. 

In my main query table, I created a new column which uses a formula to say that if the original Date column is a weekend, then show the Friday date instead, otherwise use the original Date.  This is called "Reported Date" column.

I created a new table and used Distinct(Query1[Reported Date].[Date]) to populate it, but for some reason this gave me 366 rows - 1 for each day of the year!

I tried to modify it and include Distinct(DatesMTD(Query1[Reported Date].[Date])) and that gave me less rows, but I still somehow managed to get a row for each day, and it was December, not this month!

@myk83

Can you upload a sample pbix file? You can upload it to any web storage such as OneDrive, dropbox etc and share the link.

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@myk83 Having measure that calculates your target is the best approach for your scenario. Follow below steps to create a measure that gives you Target.

1. In your dataset create calculated column that gives you day in a week. WeekdayColumn = WEEKDAY(YOURTABLE[dateColumn],2). This will give day within a week from your dates.

2. Create second calculated column which determines whether it is working day or not. WorkingDay = IF(YOURTABLE[WeekdayColumn] > 5, 0, 1)

3. Create Target measure. Target = TOTALMTD(500 * SUM(YOURTABLE[WorkingDay]), YOURTABLE[dateColumn])

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.