Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bchager6
Super User
Super User

General Question on Filter Behavior

Hello all...

I have a general question on filter behavior; specifically when fields are brought in to the drill through well as opposed to the page level filter pane.

Has anyone seen the filters behave differently depending on where they're located?

For example; if I have an active project yes/no filter and a project ID filter, both in the drill through well, selecting active project yes while that filter is in the drill through well will filter different project IDs than if I have the active project yes/no filter in the page level filter pane.

Interested in hearing your thoughts

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Page-level filters do indeed behave in a way some might view as... strange. But they are not strange. They do exactly what they should. A page-level filter filters everything on the page in such a way that no other data can be brought into the light. So, even ALL( T[Column] ) DOES respect the filter.
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@bchager6 - So, yes from a DAX perspective. For example, if you put a filter in a page level filter, even ALL will not bring back the data that was filtered out by the page level filter.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler  Thanks for your response. I understand how that works. With the scenerio I'm talking about though; if I have only 2 filters in the page, an active project yes/no and project ID filter, and they're both in the drill through well, if I select active project yes, a different set of projects will return in the project ID filter dropdown than if I move the active project yes/no filter to the page level filter pane. It's really strange, and this is before I even try to drill through from one page to the page I'm referring to.

Hi @bchager6 ,

Maybe you can try to understand it under this way:

Although filters on this page and drill through filter are both page-level filters, the priority of filters on this page is higher than drill through filter. When you set filters on this page on the target page in advance, when using drillthrough, the drillthrough filter will retrieve whether the target page has a qualified value, such as the yes/no filter you mentioned, if you set yes in filters on this page, when you drillthrough a no value, since the target page only has the value of yes, the target page will return a blank value; if you set a drillthrough filter such as yes on the target page in advance, this will only display the value of yes on the current target page, and the corresponding filters on this page will also change only yes, and when you drillthrough a no value, the target page will automatically become your drillthrough no value instead of yes.

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.