Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RenataOG30s
Frequent Visitor

Gateway slowing system performance.

Hello folks,

Does anyone got experience in configuring Power BI gateways? For a client, I have asked their IT provider to install an on-premises gateway on the server hosting their CRM (a SQL Server-based estate management system). They report: "...that the gateway is causing performance issues as it is trying to keep a live link to the system, 100% of the time hence slowing performance of the system for the finance team".
Would be a separate server for Power BI only resolve the problem?

Thanks in advance,
R
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@RenataOG30s , Gateway should be on a separate system and should have access to the database. In case if there are too many queries on live database, then you should consider image/copy database for that 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@RenataOG30s , Gateway should be on a separate system and should have access to the database. In case if there are too many queries on live database, then you should consider image/copy database for that 

Hi, @amitchandak is it recommended to install the gateway on a different server? Or could I leave the data source and gateway running in the same machine if the query is on the database copy instead of the live database? 

Thanks,

R

Hi, @amitchandak  would you have more specific advice, instructions on that, please? 

Unfortunately, I'm on my own this and I need to explain to the IT department what needs to be done.

Many thanks,

R

Thank you so much!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.