Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rwalle

Gateway issue

Hello 

I have developed some pbix files based on a SQL database, at the begining I set up 2 datasources that are just 2 queries to the same database but looking for different data, it worked just fine, I published it to "my workspace" and it worked , then I wanted to add a new datasource being a query for a the very same database , it worked on powerBi desktop, but when I tried to publish to "my workspace" it throws an error that says "it cant connect because we were unable to find a gateway, please install and configure an enterprise gateway", any idea what can be causing this ? thanks for your help 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rwalle,

It seems you are connecting the new added data source with direct query or live connection mode, but personal gateway doesn't support this two types of connection modes. Gateway comes in two different modes: Personal Mode and enterprise(recommend) mode, both gateways are free to use. You can refer this blog if you want to know more details.

1. Enterprise gateway supports all types of connection modes, but the personal gateway only supports one type of connection: Import data or schedule refresh.
  2. When install personal gateway, you can use it yourself only. Enterprises gateway allows multiple users to connect to multiple on-premises data sources. There is a central configuration section for gateways for adding data sources and controlling it. Multiple users can work with the same gateway if the gateway administrator authorizes them to use it.
  3. The personal gateway is only used for Power BI, enterprise gateway supports not only Power BI, but also PowerApps, Azure Logic Apps and Power Automate etc.

You can download and install enterprise gateway followed the steps in this documentation. After installed the gateway, you can complete the data source configuration according to the steps in this documentation.

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rwalle,

It seems you are connecting the new added data source with direct query or live connection mode, but personal gateway doesn't support this two types of connection modes. Gateway comes in two different modes: Personal Mode and enterprise(recommend) mode, both gateways are free to use. You can refer this blog if you want to know more details.

1. Enterprise gateway supports all types of connection modes, but the personal gateway only supports one type of connection: Import data or schedule refresh.
  2. When install personal gateway, you can use it yourself only. Enterprises gateway allows multiple users to connect to multiple on-premises data sources. There is a central configuration section for gateways for adding data sources and controlling it. Multiple users can work with the same gateway if the gateway administrator authorizes them to use it.
  3. The personal gateway is only used for Power BI, enterprise gateway supports not only Power BI, but also PowerApps, Azure Logic Apps and Power Automate etc.

You can download and install enterprise gateway followed the steps in this documentation. After installed the gateway, you can complete the data source configuration according to the steps in this documentation.

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.