Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kassie

Gateway error - failed to impersonate user

I created my first dashboard successfully on the desktop app and published it to the web. My database is in SQL Server and I am on the Pro Trial. I downloaded the Gateway and connected successfully. However when I try to set up the connection on the web app I get the above error. I have tried everything and I've been struggling for weeks. Can someone please help. I have downloaded and tried all gateways. I have now installed the latest one.
2 REPLIES 2
Kassie

Thank you, I read the SPN setup article, but I have no idee what to do. Must I copy and paste that script somewhere? Just so that you know, I signed in on the desktop BI and web BI with the same username and credentials. My domain is hosted by Office 365.
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Kassie ,

I think it might be caused by Kerberos. 

If the underlying database server and on-premises data gateway aren't appropriately configured for Kerberos constrained delegation, enable verbose logging on the gateway. Then, investigate based on the errors or traces in the gateway’s log files as a starting point for troubleshooting. To collect the gateway logs for viewing, see Collect logs from the on-premises data gateway app.

ImpersonationLevel

The ImpersonationLevel is related to the SPN setup or the local policy setting.

[DataMovement.PipeLine.GatewayDataAccess] About to impersonate user DOMAIN\User (IsAuthenticated: True, ImpersonationLevel: Identification)

Solution

Follow these steps to solve the issue.

1. Set up an SPN for the on-premises gateway.
  2. Set up constrained delegation in your Active Directory.

Reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-onprem-tshoot#kerberos

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.