Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kgwin97
Frequent Visitor

Gateway Install Error on VDI

I created a dashboard in Power BI using DirectQuery, because it accesses call center data and the users want to be able to see performance metrics on command throughout the day.  My work provides a VDI to all employees (which I never really used prior, because they also give me a laptop) and I am trying to set the Gateway up on my VDI, so it will be "always on".

So far I have only been able to get the Personal Mode version of the gateway download installed on my VDI.  This obviously doesn't help, because it doesn't support DirectQuery.  Every time I try to install the Standard version of the gateway the install fails:

kgwin97_0-1625512741525.png

I am not an IT/Tech guy really, but when I look at the temporary log file created by the install process I see this:

kgwin97_1-1625512864562.png

Seems like that's when things go south and it fails.  I have installed the Standard version on my laptop with no issues, but the VDI is a problem for some reason.

Has anyone encountered this problem before or know why installing on a VDI would present problems?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @kgwin97 ,

Gateway (personal mode) operates on 64-bit versions: If your machine is a 32-bit version, you can't install the gateway (personal mode). Your operating system has to be a 64-bit version. Install a 64-bit version of Windows or install the gateway (personal mode) on a 64-bit machine.

Gateway (personal mode) fails to install as a service even though you're a local administrator for the computer: Installation can fail if the user is in the computer’s local Administrator group, but Group Policy doesn't allow that username to sign in as a service. Ensure that Group Policy lets a user sign in as a service. We’re working on a fix for this issue. For more information, see Add the Log on as a service right to an account.

Operation timed out: This message is common if the computer (physical machine or VM) on which you’re installing the gateway (personal mode) has a single core processor. Close any applications, turn off any non-essential processes, and try installing again.

Data management gateway or Analysis Services connector can't be installed on the same computer as gateway (personal mode): If you already have an Analysis Services connector or a data management gateway installed, you must first uninstall the connector or the gateway. Then, try installing the gateway (personal mode).

If you encounter an issue during installation, the setup logs can provide information to help you resolve the issue. For more information, see Setup logs.

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@kgwin97 , Run the install file as administrator. Right click run as administrator

I tried that, actually.  Still failed.

Hi @kgwin97 ,

Gateway (personal mode) operates on 64-bit versions: If your machine is a 32-bit version, you can't install the gateway (personal mode). Your operating system has to be a 64-bit version. Install a 64-bit version of Windows or install the gateway (personal mode) on a 64-bit machine.

Gateway (personal mode) fails to install as a service even though you're a local administrator for the computer: Installation can fail if the user is in the computer’s local Administrator group, but Group Policy doesn't allow that username to sign in as a service. Ensure that Group Policy lets a user sign in as a service. We’re working on a fix for this issue. For more information, see Add the Log on as a service right to an account.

Operation timed out: This message is common if the computer (physical machine or VM) on which you’re installing the gateway (personal mode) has a single core processor. Close any applications, turn off any non-essential processes, and try installing again.

Data management gateway or Analysis Services connector can't be installed on the same computer as gateway (personal mode): If you already have an Analysis Services connector or a data management gateway installed, you must first uninstall the connector or the gateway. Then, try installing the gateway (personal mode).

If you encounter an issue during installation, the setup logs can provide information to help you resolve the issue. For more information, see Setup logs.

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.