Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Gantt visualisation displaying multiple dependencies

Hi

I'm trying to create a Gantt Chart visualisation that displays multiple dependencies (arrows) between tasks. I'm able to display 2 dependencies using the xViz Gantt Chart, however often my tasks have 3 or more dependencies.

Is anyone aware of a Gantt Chart visualisation capable of displaying 3 or more dependencies please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good news - xViz does have a solution for >2 dependencies. It's possible to just use the primary connector and configure the dependencies in a single column in PowerBI with the correct syntax and delimiter. See their post here

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PowerBIpupil99

Hi,

I am new to xViz Gantt Chart and have tried to use the sample data provided by xviz.com to create the visualisation. However, when I opened Power BI Desktop and plotted the gantt chart, I was not able to display the dependencies/relationship using "Primary ConnectTo" and "Primary ConnectorType". Could anyone here help me out? Thank you!!

PowerBIpupil99_0-1666683592630.png

Obtained sample data from here - How to configure and launch Gantt Chart in Power BI - A Quick Guide (xviz.com)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @PowerBIpupil99 

The sample data doesn't look quite right - it seems to be trying to create connections based on the Resource name, but the data is task-based. Try making the following changes to the "Primary ConnectTo" data in Column G of the sample data and it should give you an understanding of how it all works.

Cell ReferenceCurrently Says…Try Changing to….
G2Kimberley["UI/UX"]
G4Randy["Project Plan"]
G8Randy["Busines Case Preparation","Review"]
G10Jack["Systems Architecture","Project Plan"]

It should look something like this:

surplex_0-1666741748277.png

ronaldbalza2023
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hi @Anonymous, hope you are having an awesome day. Not sure if I understood your question correctly. Do you mean by this sample one? If so, please find attached sample PBIX file from "the great" MAQ software 😉

ronaldbalza2023_2-1660698672087.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @ronaldbalza2023 . See below for a sample of the Gantt Chart I've created using xViz.

surplex_0-1660702489903.png

As an example, the third task listed here has 3 dependencies. I'm able to use the "Primary Connector" and "Secondary Connector" in xViz to display 2 of the 3 dependencies, however I'm unable to display the 3rd dependency.

Am hoping there might be an alternative Gantt visualisation that is capable of achieving this outcome (or some way to configure same in xViz)?

Many thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good news - xViz does have a solution for >2 dependencies. It's possible to just use the primary connector and configure the dependencies in a single column in PowerBI with the correct syntax and delimiter. See their post here

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors