Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

OB
Helper II
Helper II

Gantt doesn't respond to blank date slicer and doesn't understand zero duration

My Gantt hasn't been working properly since last Thursday.  I updated the PBI version, re-loaded the latest Gantt, but the issue still persists in both the Desktop and the Service.  There are two issues actually.  One is when the Start Date is blank.  The other one is with the Duration.

1) Blank date.  There are cases when the Start Date is blank and the Duration is blank for that reason.  I have a slicer on Start Date.  When I select the blank Start Date, the Gantt chart doesn't respond, while in the past it would narrow the data down to show the Task name and no bars on the right (because the duration would be null).   Also, even before slicing, the Gantt shows the Task name as blank, although I have the Task name, I just don't have a Start Date entered for the task. If I check out Show Items With No Data option for Task and/or Start Date, nothing changes.  It worked fine two weeks ago.  I reopened my file last week and even updates and various testing and checking didn't help.  My original model used the DATEDIFF function to calculate the day difference between two dates as Duration, but even a simplified model as described above hasn't been working since last week.

2) Duration.  In my model the Duration is calculated as difference between the End Date and the Start Date. Typos are possible in data entry, so when the Start Date is after the End Date, I use IFFERROR function (or SWITCH works as well) and assign Duration to 0 (zero length of the task) in my measure.  However, the Gantt chart still shows that the Task's length is one day (e.g. when Start Date = June1, 2017 and End Date = May31, 2017).  If I assign Duration to be any other number starting 1, then the Gantt chart shows it properly.  This issue could have existed before, but I just noticed it when I started testing due to blank date issue.

6 REPLIES 6
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @OB,

I'd like to confirm some detailed information to ensure where the issue is:

Have you try to use last version of gantt chart? (older version of gantt visual may not fully support the last version of power bi desktop)
If you use original datasource to create a new report, is this issue appears again? (Compatibility issues caused by version update)
3. Did you add the if statement to check the datediff calculation and return zero during an error calculation? (formula issue)

>> When I select the blank Start Date, the Gantt chart doesn't respond, while in the past it would narrow the data down to show the Task name and no bars on the right (because the duration would be null).   

It sounds like a relationship issue, perhaps you can check the relationship if it has setting to single.

In addition, can you please share more detail content about this? It will be help for troubleshooting.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi Xiaoxin,

Thanks for looking into it.  Here are my answers and the snapshots attached for both cases:

1. This is my PBI version 2.47.4766.542 64-bit (June, 2017) and I saw this morning that the new Gantt Version: 1.0.1.0 was released, so I imported it in my new test model and the issues persist.

2. I created a new report with the original source using the PBI and Gantt versions above and the issue persists.

3. Yes, my IFERROR formula for the Duration column is used to avoid errors when Due date is before Start Date.

What is new today, after I loaded yesterday's release of the Gantt chart, is that if I select Blank date on my slicer, then go to another report page and then come back to my Gantt chart, I find it empty.  This means it responds to the Blank date slicer, but it still doesn't show the Activity Code, although Activity Code is not blank, only Start Date and Duration are blank (see snapshots below).  I also added a table visual to show that it responds to my slicer as expected. The model has the same issues when in the PBI Service.

FYI, my Activity Code and Start Date are set to Show items with no data. 

As I said in my original post, Duration issue could have existed before.  I just have one Activity with that case right now, so I probably didn't notice it.  The Blank date issue is new.  I worked on my PBI model in the beginning of June and there were cases with Blank dates, so by clicking on a blank date in the slicer, I knew which Activity Codes should be updated in the source. Then I opened my model again last week and saw the issue even before updating PBI version and Gantt chart. 

Gantt Duration Issue

Gantt - not filtering on Blank date

Gantt - filtering on Blank after page change but shows no Activity Code

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @OB,

Can you please share the sample file to test? I will test on it.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi Xiaoxin,

Here is my source.  The ones that don't show properly due to blank dates are WP-01-A01, A02 and A03 and then WP-02-A01 sets  duration to one day (while I assign it to 0).

Gantt Test Source

Thanks!

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @OB,

Based on test, gantt visual seems not support null/blank value( null/blank date value not equal to 0), because visual can't find the null value at the date range.

In my opinion, I'd like to suggest you use a default value to replace these null records or contact power bi custom visual team to report this.(add a default value to instead the blank value)

BTW, if you switch the slicer to date slicer mode, you can also found that blank value also not contains in the date range.

Regards,

XIaoxin Sheng

Thank you for verifying!  I've contacted support to get it fixed.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.