Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Gantt chart; Time focus, not task focus.

Hi!

A while back I had an inquery on the use of the "Gantt" visual  where I asked about subsets of dates within the chart (https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Gantt-Chart-focus-on-subset-of-dates/m-p/664937). The solution at the time was good enough to solve my problem but now I have further questions! 🙂

My issue is:

The way the different Gantt charts i've tested are designed to be "task focused" scope, meaning that I guess one would find the relevant tasks and retrieve information on the period the task is relevant.

What I would love to be able to do is to retrieve the information in a "time focused" scope. What I mean is that instead of finding the tasks first, I would rather find the period first, then retrieve the tasks that are within this period.

I guess the technical issues are related to the visuals data fields are dependent on a "Start date" and an "End date". The thread I linked above offers a solution where for a task to be included in the visuel the time slicer would have to include both the start and finish date.

My ideal result would be to be able to use a time slicer to set a specific date or date range, and get all tasks that are planned to be within this period.

Thank you in advance!

Best regards

arefossa

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @Anonymous 

You could try this way to create a measure then make the visual filtered by it.

Measure 2 = var _period1=CALENDAR(MIN(Gantt[StartDate]),MAX(Gantt[FinishDate]))
var _period2=SELECTCOLUMNS(FILTER(GENERATE(Gantt,'Date'),'Date'[Date]>=Gantt[StartDate]&&'Date'[Date]<=Gantt[FinishDate]),"Date",[Date]) return
IF(COUNTROWS(INTERSECT(_period1,_period2))>0,1,0)

It has the same logic as above post.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @Anonymous 

You could try this way to create a measure then make the visual filtered by it.

Measure 2 = var _period1=CALENDAR(MIN(Gantt[StartDate]),MAX(Gantt[FinishDate]))
var _period2=SELECTCOLUMNS(FILTER(GENERATE(Gantt,'Date'),'Date'[Date]>=Gantt[StartDate]&&'Date'[Date]<=Gantt[FinishDate]),"Date",[Date]) return
IF(COUNTROWS(INTERSECT(_period1,_period2))>0,1,0)

It has the same logic as above post.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.