Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rcbmulder

Gantt Chart with different task colors

Hello

I want to create a Tech refresh roadmap using power BI and so far come up with the following using Gantt chart 2.2.3:

rcbmulder_0-1634641132134.png

here is the data source (which I can tweak around with if required):

typeParentTechItemStartEnd
RUN version 1DatabaseDatabase A01/01/202001/01/2021
FUTURE version 2DatabaseDatabase A01/02/202101/01/2023
RUN v2.3DatabaseDatabase B01/06/202001/06/2021
FUTURE 3.1DatabaseDatabase B01/06/202201/06/2023

What would be cool is if I could make the 'RUN' types Green and the 'FUTURE' ones Orange programmatically somehow - I was thinking I could store the colours in excel too but I can't see a way to set 'task colour =' typecolour etc.

1 - is this feasible using Gantt

2 - is there a better chart I could use which would work better

I've googled and can't see anything like this for this chart type.

please help..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rcbmulder ,

In the version of Gantt Chart you provided, there is no option for a function corresponding to the color.

vhenrykmstf_1-1635300811364.png

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
slubru62

• I believe this can be achieved by adding another column to your dataset essentially categorizing the data by current, future, etc and then you can assign that to the legend which will assign colors for each category. 
naveenpowerbine

Hello,

How are you able to show text i.e. in your example "Type" on Gantt Chart bar? I'm looking for solution, please let me know. Thanks

v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rcbmulder ,

In the version of Gantt Chart you provided, there is no option for a function corresponding to the color.

vhenrykmstf_1-1635300811364.png

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rcbmulder ,

According to your description, you can use another version of Gantt Chart visual. in Format->Bar formatting you can set the colors for different tasks.

I did the test with the following reference:

vhenrykmstf_2-1634866543775.png

vhenrykmstf_0-1634866524993.png

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information and let me know immediately. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

Hi - this doesn't allow me to group tasks on the SAME line as per my requirements and example.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@rcbmulder , I tried matrix as project plan, see if that can help

Matrix as Project plan Visual: https://youtu.be/R25QoiyoSVs

thanks - I watched the video - this would help but only if I can have 4 dates on the same line..

e.g. start1 end1 start2 end2 (there maybe a gap between end1 and start2) - I need to spend some more time on Matrix to undertstand how to program this..

If the Gant Chart 2.3.3 just had a task bar colour that could pull a colour from the data that would be perfect..

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.