Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

GIS Table Shape Field

I loaded a GIS table into BI. It's a table for a line feature class (pipes). The shape length field is a binary data type. If I were to look at this same table in ArcGIS, the shape length field would be the length of the line. But in Power BI, the value in every row is "binary". How can I transform this column to give me the length of the line instead of "binary".    

My goal is to sum the line (pipe) lengths of this field. 

3 REPLIES 3
steve_m

Hi,

This post is a few years old at this point, but I was wondering if you ever got this resolved or found a work around? My thought was creating a seperate numeric field on the feature class and calculating the Shape.Length values into the new field and use that field instead in Power BI for summing up pipe lengths. It's just a thought...but curious what you ended up doing? 

Thanks,

Steve

sbraman

Similar issue - Shape.Length calculated in ESRI comes across as tet of the coordiantes which ESRI presumably calculated the length between - looks like:  "LINE STRING ( coord_start , coord_end) " with multiple sets of coordinates when there is a bend.  I'm connecting to it via the SQC db.  Any chance this will get resolved?  

v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous ,

@Anonymous wrote:

I loaded a GIS table into BI. It's a table for a line feature class (pipes). The shape length field is a binary data type. If I were to look at this same table in ArcGIS, the shape length field would be the length of the line. But in Power BI, the value in every row is "binary". How can I transform this column to give me the length of the line instead of "binary".    

My goal is to sum the line (pipe) lengths of this field. 

Could you share more details about "shape length field" and post some sample data?

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.