Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jamie_Hughes
Frequent Visitor

GENERATESERIES not selecting certain number in the range

Hi,

I have a GENERATESERIES from 0 to 1501 in increments of 1, the issue I am having is when I try and select some numbers. For example, when I enter 500 it returns 499, when I enter 14 it returns 13. There doesn't seem to be a pattern to this, here is the DAX I am using "RCM = GENERATESERIES(0, 1501, 1)", any help on how to fix this will be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I found out what the issue was in case anyone stumbles across this post with the same problem.

The reason why some of the numbers don't appear and revert back to another number when entered is due to PBI sampling the data, the range that you are using is to big.

From what I have noticed is that any thing over a range of a 1000 numbers PBI will sample this data and only hold up to 1000 numbers, now these numbers will not be in sequence, this is why you see a different number after you have entered a number in the selection box.

Hope this helps someone as I was struggling to get an answer for it for ages Smiley Very Happy

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
EvgeniAb
Regular Visitor

As an idea that could help to expand range 

GENERATESERIES = UNION( GENERATESERIES(1,499,1), GENERATESERIES(500,999,2), GENERATESERIES(1000,9990, 10),GENERATESERIES(10000,100000, 100))

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Jamie_Hughes,

Function GENERATESERIES worked fine on my side. Please close your desktop and re-create a new .pbix file for a test. Also, you could update your desktop version for a try. If problem persists, please share your sample .pbix file so that we can check.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Stachu
Community Champion
Community Champion

I cannot replicate the issue - how do you select value from the table? using slicer? also what's the syntax for the measure that returns the value lower by 1?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Thank you for the kudos 🙂

@v-yulgu-msft@AlB@Stachu

I used the what if measure and set the parameters to

Data type = Whole number

Minimum = 0

Maximum = 1501

Increament = 1

I have changed the data type to Decimal number and Fixed decimal number and I still get the same issue

I found out what the issue was in case anyone stumbles across this post with the same problem.

The reason why some of the numbers don't appear and revert back to another number when entered is due to PBI sampling the data, the range that you are using is to big.

From what I have noticed is that any thing over a range of a 1000 numbers PBI will sample this data and only hold up to 1000 numbers, now these numbers will not be in sequence, this is why you see a different number after you have entered a number in the selection box.

Hope this helps someone as I was struggling to get an answer for it for ages Smiley Very Happy

is there any solution of it so far?

I have the same problem still on Feb 2022 version.
Thank you for clarifying your findings.

@Jamie_Hughes

I cannot replicate it either.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.