Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fundamental Data Model Relationship Question

Hello,

I've created a data model with a Fact table and Dim table. I've also create a relationship(1:M) from the Dim to the Fact table. Now, when a start creating a Table Visual for my "spot-checking" needs and bring in the Key fields from both tables that I created my relationship based on, the amount of records are inflated. I would think I would only see records in the Table Visual where the Key fields match between the Fact table and Dim table but it seems as if a cross-join of some sort is happening behind the scenes but I think I'm missing something fundamental here in my understanding.

As you can see the screenshot, the 2nd Key field(From Dim table) is being replicated when the 1st Key field(From Fact table) in the screenshot is unique as I build out my Table Visual. I'm expecting to see only records where the two Key fields match. However, it seems like all records from the Dim Table will "cross join" to each record in the Fact table based on the relationship created between the tables. The Key field from the Dim table is unique and I created a 1:M relationship to the Fact table.

FACTvsDIM-DimKeyFieldReplicatedinTableViz.PNG

Any explanation would be helpful.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This measure ignores (ALLEXCEPT) the relation and creates foreach combination a result.
Did I answer your question?
Please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Please give Kudos for support.

Marcus Wegener works as Full Stack Power BI Engineer at BI or DIE.
His mission is clear: "Get the most out of data, with Power BI."
twitter - LinkedIn - YouTube - website - podcast

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.