Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jengwt
Helper V
Helper V

Functions in add Custom Column to Query (M coding)

Hi folks. I'm experimenting with using queries to filter other queries so that I don't have to use the code of some queries multiple times. However, I'm having trouble coding the columns in M.

So far, I'm looking at 3 tables:

Table A lists the assignments of trainers to trainees. Some genius decided that they would include two different types of identificaion for the trainers and drivers, respsecitively; i.e. in the same record, trainers are identified in one field using info X, and trainees in the next using info Y.

Table B is a Type 2 person dimension with data about people. This table includes info X and Y for all people.

Tables C has other event data about people. People in here are only identifiable with info X.

Capture3.jpg

Tables B and C are massive tables, and I want to cut down on them by only pulling data pertaining to the people listed in Table A.

First, I'm pulling Table A, which is a simple enough query.

Then I added Table B, but, then added two Left Outer Joins to check if the person record is one of those included in Table A, checking the trainer and trainee fields, respsectively:

Capture.PNG

Now I need to add a columns that says, "if both of these fields are null, then do not include this record."

This is how I'm attempting to accomplish this:

Capture2.PNG

In simpler terms:

Include_F = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded LastQueryStep"
, "Include_F"
, each IF(AND(ISBLANK([#"TableA.TRAINEE"])
, ISBLANK([#"TableA.TRAINER"]))
, FALSE()
, TRUE()))

But I get the error: "Expression.Error: The name 'IF' wasn't recognized. Make sure it's spelled correctly."

If I can't use an if statement, want can I use?

Next, I will have to check Table C if those people are included in the filtered Table B.

Thanks!

Yes, I know I could just join all of these tables together in a single query, but I don't want to have a MASSIVE data set that will be impossible to read.

I also could also just use the queries in tables A and B multiple times, but I want to avoid versioning issues and to minimize maintenance,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jengwt
Helper V
Helper V

Oh. I realized that using DAX code in M code probably doesn't work. This works:

Include_F = if [#"TABLEA.TRAINEE"] is null and [#"TableA.TRAINER"] is null then false else true

Now let's see how this affects load times, and if we can make it work for Table C.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
CheenuSing
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @jengwt 

IF is not IF in Power query, it is  "if"

Example 

Excel =IF(test, value_if_true, value_if_false)
Power Query =if test then value_if_true else value_if_false

Also you could download the

Power Query Formula Language Specification  (October 2016).pdf from dwonload.microsoft.com for handy reference.

Cheers

CheenuSing

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution and also give KUDOS !

Proud to be a Datanaut!
jengwt
Helper V
Helper V

Oh. I realized that using DAX code in M code probably doesn't work. This works:

Include_F = if [#"TABLEA.TRAINEE"] is null and [#"TableA.TRAINER"] is null then false else true

Now let's see how this affects load times, and if we can make it work for Table C.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.