Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Function to return multiple values as record

I'm sorry to have to ask, but it's been breaking my brain and I really haven't found many examples for adding fields and values to a record. The function below appears to be working perfectly well, except that it only returns 'false' which I suppose is coming from the NextMonth field value.  Honestly, it's been doing my head in.  Any help would be very much appreciated.

(dateDOB as date) =>
let
    Birth_Day = Text.From(Date.Day([dateDOB])),
        Birth_Month = Text.From(Date.Month([dateDOB])),
        LeapBaby = 
                (if Birth_Day = "29" and Birth_Month = "2" 
                then "true" 
                else "false"),

NextBirthday = 
                (if LeapBaby = "false"
                then Text.From([Birth_Day] & "/" & [Birth_Month] & "/" & Text.From(Date.Year(DateTime.LocalNow())))
                else "28/2/" & Text.From(Date.Year(DateTime.LocalNow()))),

Age= Number.RoundTowardZero(
                    Duration.TotalDays(
                        Duration.From(
                            Date.FromText([NextBirthday])-[dateDOB])
                     )/365.25
                 ),

BirthDayMessage = 
                (if LeapBaby = true and NextBirthday = "28/2/2018" 
                then "Happy Leap Year Birthday!"
                else "Happy"),

NextMonth = Date.IsInNextMonth(Date.FromText(NextBirthday)),
         record = Record.AddField = ([
                Message = BirthDayMessage, Age = Age, NextMonth = NextMonth, NextBirthday = NextBirthday
          ])
in
    record
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Change last line record to:

record = [Message = BirthDayMessage, Age = Age, NextMonth = NextMonth, NextBirthday = NextBirthday]

Also, for readability, I would avoid making field names exactly the same as the reference to their values, and instead would recommend something like 'Age = AgeVal, NextMonth = NexMonthVal', etc.

I don't think it's an issue here, but in other situations having different things with the same name can cause an error.

View solution in original post

Yes, taking another look at your function, all your references have brakets around them. Remove the brackets and that will help. You may need to further troubleshoot, though. Generally when creating a complex function, it's worth using dummy data to validate it's working.

E.g. Change the top of your M to the following and work through all errors, then try to call function:

/** (dateDOB as date) => **/
let
    dateDOB = #date(2001,2,28),
    Birth_Day = Text.From(Date.Day(dateDOB)),

(I commented out the parameter at top and replaced with a constant to test out, and removed brackets on the reference in the first line to give you an example).

Once your function works for the test value, just remove the dateDOB line under let, and remove the comment syntax (/** & **/) around your parameters line.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous

Here are some articles for your reference.

http://radacad.com/power-query-function-that-returns-multiple-values

https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2017/01/10/record-addfield-functions-and-the-delayed-option-in-m/

Regards,

Cherie

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Cherie,

thanks for taking the time to respond to my question.  I've been using the RADCAD article to create the query, but it doesn't explain how to add multiple columns to the record.  For example, the line below, as I understand it, creates the record called 'record', adds a column called First Date of the Month and sets the value for that column.  

record=Record.AddField([],"First Date of Month",FirstDate),

The next line assigns record to result set and adds another column, and a value for that column.

resultset=Record.AddField(record,"Last Date of Month",LastDate)

Change last line record to:

record = [Message = BirthDayMessage, Age = Age, NextMonth = NextMonth, NextBirthday = NextBirthday]

Also, for readability, I would avoid making field names exactly the same as the reference to their values, and instead would recommend something like 'Age = AgeVal, NextMonth = NexMonthVal', etc.

I don't think it's an issue here, but in other situations having different things with the same name can cause an error.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, I meant to add that I've taken your advice and made sure the field names and the references to their values different now.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi MarkLaf,

thank you for your response.  Power Query does accept that change, but when I call the function:

Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Other Columns", "DOBProcessing", each #"fBirthdayReport (2)"([DOB]))

expand the record, all of the columns error

Expression.Error: There is an unknown identifier. Did you use the [field] shorthand for a _[field] outside of an 'each' expression?  Am I completely on the wrong track?

Yes, taking another look at your function, all your references have brakets around them. Remove the brackets and that will help. You may need to further troubleshoot, though. Generally when creating a complex function, it's worth using dummy data to validate it's working.

E.g. Change the top of your M to the following and work through all errors, then try to call function:

/** (dateDOB as date) => **/
let
    dateDOB = #date(2001,2,28),
    Birth_Day = Text.From(Date.Day(dateDOB)),

(I commented out the parameter at top and replaced with a constant to test out, and removed brackets on the reference in the first line to give you an example).

Once your function works for the test value, just remove the dateDOB line under let, and remove the comment syntax (/** & **/) around your parameters line.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the advice and the help MarkLaf.  I really appreciate it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.