Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AlKS
Regular Visitor

Full date into month/year

Hi,  Im having difficulties trying to plot the date in month groups.  I have a date column as dd/mm/yyyy.  I want to show mm/yy on visuals but am having issues making this happen.    If I select the hierarchy as year and month it just shows the year.   If I choose month only it groups the months from different years which is not want I want.  I am relatively new to Power BI so do aplogise if this seems a simple thing.  I am assuming I need to possibly create a new column that extracts just the month and year, and then just show this on a visual as a date. 

Any help greatly appreciated.

Al

5 REPLIES 5
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AlKS,

Assume the sample data below:

w1.PNG

You can use a column chart visual, then drag date column to Axis, it will generate date hierarchy automatically. You can delete the Quarter and Day, keep Year and Month. Put Amount in Values. Then expand all the level via this power-bi-drill-icon6.png

w2.PNGw3.PNG

If the above result doesn't meet your requirement, please clarify it.

Reference:

Drill down in a visualization in Power BI

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
juliovidigal
Advocate I
Advocate I

Do you have a calendar table?
The ideal is to always have a calendar table, with varying columns, with various types of views, and then relate your transaction table to this calendar table.

No I dont.   Im guessing if I have this I can link the date in the main data to the required date format column in the date table?  I can then choose this data to plot the visual under mm/yy

See, all my transaction tables are listed by the date field with the calendar table.

With this I can use any column in my date table to mount a view I need.

Untitled1.png

You need to match a date table to a full date field, if in your transaction table you only have the month and year, you need to create a calculated column by adding day (01), so you can relate. Once related, you can use any of the columns in your date table to "group" in your chart. I'm going to pass a function that I use to create the date table, and the call I make on it. You can tailor it to your need.

let CreateDateTable = (StartDate as date, EndDate as date, optional Culture as nullable text) as table =>
let
DayCount = Duration.Days(Duration.From(EndDate - StartDate)),
Source = List.Dates(StartDate,DayCount,#duration(1,0,0,0)),
TableFromList = Table.FromList(Source, Splitter.SplitByNothing()),
ChangedType = Table.TransformColumnTypes(TableFromList,{{"Column1", type date}}),
RenamedColumns = Table.RenameColumns(ChangedType,{{"Column1", "Date"}}),
InsertYear = Table.AddColumn(RenamedColumns, "Year", each Date.Year([Date])),
InsertQuarter = Table.AddColumn(InsertYear, "QuarterOfYear", each Date.QuarterOfYear([Date])),
InsertMonth = Table.AddColumn(InsertQuarter, "MonthOfYear", each Date.Month([Date])),
InsertDay = Table.AddColumn(InsertMonth, "DayOfMonth", each Date.Day([Date])),
InsertDayInt = Table.AddColumn(InsertDay, "DateInt", each [Year] * 10000 + [MonthOfYear] * 100 + [DayOfMonth]),
InsertMonthName = Table.AddColumn(InsertDayInt, "MonthName", each Date.ToText([Date], "MMMM", "pt-BR"), type text),
InsertMonthNameENG = Table.AddColumn(InsertMonthName , "MonthNameENG", each Date.ToText([Date], "MMMM", "en-US"), type text),
InsertCalendarMonth = Table.AddColumn(InsertMonthNameENG, "MonthInCalendar", each (try(Text.Range([MonthName],0,3)) otherwise [MonthName]) & " " & Number.ToText([Year])),
InsertCalendarQtr = Table.AddColumn(InsertCalendarMonth, "QuarterInCalendar", each "Q" & Number.ToText([QuarterOfYear]) & " " & Number.ToText([Year])),
InsertDayWeek = Table.AddColumn(InsertCalendarQtr, "DayInWeek", each Date.DayOfWeek([Date])),
InsertDayName = Table.AddColumn(InsertDayWeek, "DayOfWeekName", each Date.ToText([Date], "dddd", Culture), type text),
#"InsertDay(3)" = Table.AddColumn(InsertDayName, "Day", each Date.ToText([Date], "ddd", "EN-us"), type text),
InsertDayNameENG = Table.AddColumn(#"InsertDay(3)", "DayOfWeekNameENG", each Date.ToText([Date], "dddd", "en-US"), type text),
InsertWeekStart = Table.AddColumn(InsertDayNameENG , "WeekStart", each Date.StartOfWeek([Date]), type date),
InsertWeekEnding = Table.AddColumn(InsertWeekStart , "WeekEnding", each Date.EndOfWeek([Date]), type date)
in
InsertWeekEnding
in
CreateDateTable

CALL

let
Source = fncCalendar(#date(Date.Year(Date.AddYears(DateTime.LocalNow(),-2)), Date.Month(DateTime.LocalNow()), Date.Day(DateTime.LocalNow())),

#date(Date.Year(DateTime.LocalNow()), Date.Month(DateTime.LocalNow()), Date.Day(Date.AddDays(DateTime.LocalNow(),1))), null),
#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Label", each Date.ToText(#date(Date.Year([Date]),Date.Month([Date]),Date.Day([Date])),"dd-MMM-yy"))
in
#"Added Custom"

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.