Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mbdtz
Advocate III
Advocate III

Full addresses not plotting on map

Hi All,

I hope someone can help me with my two-fold question in regards to the map visualisation 🙂

I have found some instances where an address will not plot on the map, I am ensuring that the address follows the following format:

= Table.AddColumn(#"Renamed Columns1", "full_location", each [street_address]&", "&[suburb]&", "&[State_full]&", "&[Country])

and almost all the addresses plot 

examples:

• 231 Corio St , Shepparton, Victoria, Australia - This address is slightly different in bing maps but replacing it with #231 239 Corio Street, Shepparton Victoria 3630 doesn't work either
  • 4 Lauderdale Rd , berwick, Victoria, Australia - it appears that this number doesn't show in bing but it does in google
  • 54 main st, Stawell, Victoria, Australia - this address doesn't seem to get found BUT if you see at this link https://bit.ly/295GUnU, the address is listed as 54 Main Street, Stawell Victoria 3380 and yes I've tried putting the address exactly in that format

I have a large amount of addresses that I'm needing to plot and it isn't viable to manually go through each address and find the latitude and longitude, is there a way to check whether an address will plot on the map (or has)? 

If there is no way to check, what's be best way to quickly find the lat/longs for these addresses?

Any help is greatly appriciated 🙂

Thanks, Berry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@mbdtz You can use process called geo-coding to change address to lat long coordinates in power bi using APIs from bing or google maps. In your case I would suggest use Google Maps API since you're able to get addresses on it. Here is the article that shows you how to perform get-coding in power bi. It is showing Bing Maps but you can use the same process with Google maps. Once you get lat long make sure columns are defined of that category in power bi desktop.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jamahan
Frequent Visitor

PowerBI MAPS may have a bug and will somehow not accept the ADDRESS word in the MAPS Location field.

In the query editor try rename your data column header from *Address* to *Adress*

Just had the same problem, with about 7 locations out of 70 not showing up on the map (and being mystified as to why just these were missing).  I changed the column name from 'Address' to 'Adress' and BOOM, now they appear.   Thank you TONS for posting about this defect.

In case anyone is wondering, as of 12/15/2021, this bug is still present. Had a field named FullAddress with address, city, state, zip code and it wasn't mapping some address correctly. Changed it to "Addres" and per above BOOM, now it works.

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@mbdtz You can use process called geo-coding to change address to lat long coordinates in power bi using APIs from bing or google maps. In your case I would suggest use Google Maps API since you're able to get addresses on it. Here is the article that shows you how to perform get-coding in power bi. It is showing Bing Maps but you can use the same process with Google maps. Once you get lat long make sure columns are defined of that category in power bi desktop.

Thanks for that, I'll give it a go 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.