Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ramyaamer

Frown (Error) - The data source credentials could not be decrypted

After the last update i receive this error an couldn't open PBI Desktop 

Feedback Type:

Frown (Error)

Timestamp:

2021-04-20T09:26:21.5500519Z

Local Time:

2021-04-20T11:26:21.5500519+02:00

Session ID:

87fe4eb9-c4f6-46f3-a8ab-7d366dc9e120

Release:

April 2021

Product Version:

2.92.706.0 (21.04) (x64)

Error Message:

The data source credentials could not be decrypted. Please restart the program. If you continue to see this message, try clearing your credentials from the Data Source Settings dialog. If that does not resolve the issue, please contact Microsoft for support.

Stack Trace:

at System.Security.Cryptography.ProtectedData.Unprotect(Byte[] encryptedData, Byte[] optionalEntropy, DataProtectionScope scope)

at Microsoft.Mashup.Security.UserProtectedDataServices.Unprotect(Byte[] userData, Byte[] optionalEntropy)

at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.Local.LocalCredentialsStorage.CredentialsStorageContext.TryGetPart(CredentialsList& part)

Stack Trace Message:

Key not valid for use in specified state.

Invocation Stack Trace:

at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()

at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.FeedbackErrorInfo..ctor(String message, Exception exception, Nullable`1 stackTraceInfo, String messageDetail)

at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass15_0.<HandleException>b__0()

at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.SynchronizationContextExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass2_1.<SendAndMarshalExceptions>b__0(Object null)

at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)

at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)

at System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(Object[] args)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)

at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)

at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)

at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)

at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.UIBlockingService.WaitOnUIThreadForTaskCompletion[T](Task`1 task)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.UIBlockingService.BlockUIAndRun[T](Func`1 asyncMethod)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.FileManager.OpenFile(IPowerBIWindowService windowService, IPbixFile fileToOpen, Nullable`1 entryPoint)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.TryOpenOrCreateReport(IUIHost uiHost, IPowerBIWindowService windowService, IFileManager fileManager, IFileHistoryManager fileHistoryManager, String filePath, FileType fileType, IFileInformationProtectionManager fileInformationProtectionManager)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClass4_0.<Main>b__1()

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__0()

at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

OS Version:

Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.19042.0 (x64 en-US)

CLR Version:

4.7 or later [Release Number = 528372]

Peak Virtual Memory:

37.9 GB

Private Memory:

288 MB

Peak Working Set:

413 MB

IE Version:

User ID:

5477bafa-3fa4-4c48-a819-bb25ec0a8691

Workbook Package Info:

None

Telemetry Enabled:

True

DPI Scale:

100%

Supported Services:

Power BI

14 REPLIES 14
shubham83
Regular Visitor

Hi,

Please Resolve this issue i am not able to open any Reports . i have also tried with unisntall power bi from  my machine and again installed still facing the same issue. kindly assist me with this.

shubham83_0-1665422374519.png

thanks and regards

shubham

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

For those of you who have not already done so, a second version of ABril has come out that solves the problem of this thread, that version is: 2.92.943.0 64-bit (April 2021).

dunnakk
Frequent Visitor

This stopped being an issue for me yesterday. I assume that some sort of an update came through from the Microsoft Store. The version is now 2.92.943.0 64-bit (April 2021).

Nomind

Managed to fix this one today for one of our users, YMMV:

Make note of any/all necessary data sources for the user

Uninstalled Power BI Desktop

Renamed folder "%userprofile%\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop Store App" to "Power BI Desktop Store App.old"

Reinstalled from MS Store

Recreated Data Sources

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Receiving the same error, despite uninstalling and installing again, and even returning to anteriro versions, the error persists.

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Yesterday I updated to the April version, but it is today that I get the same error as the others. Without opening any files, simply when opening PBI. Since I have many credentials already registered previously, I will do my best not to reinstall PBI, since with a reinstallation all credentials are lost. In case they can be saved (which I would have to investigate) it would surely be of no use, because that's where the problem seems to be.
In any case, you have already commented that uninstalling and reinstalling, the problem is not eliminated. I'm afraid it's a bug from the April version.

v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ramyaamer ,

Have you ever try to uninstall it completely and re-install again? If the issue is still existing, I suggest you downgrade it to march version: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/desktop-latest-update-archive?tabs=powerbi-de...

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank You! I did not realize it was an option to install older versions. Uninstalling the April Release version and going back to March did the trick.

yes, downgrading the version to march solve the problem and everything back to normal, but, this a temporary solution, i guess. we cannot hold in using march edition forever.

any idea if the problem will be solved by may update. 

Indeed, deflating the April version (Windows de-detailer itself) and installing the March version, everything works again (I don't install the versions from the Store, but directly). I rectify my previous post, because credentials are NOT lost when uninstalling; I don't know where they're kept, but they stay exactly the same as before. Therefore, fully operational (albeit without the new Features of April) until they resolve the April'21 bug.
In case someone doesn't already know you, you can download and install all previous versions of PBI Desktop officially at:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/desktop-latest-update-archive?tabs=powerbi-de...
Good luck to those of you who still have the problem and thanks @Syndicate_Admin for the help.

@Anonymous 

I tried to uninstall and re-install but the issue still persists. Once I click on close on the error box, I can use Power BI desktop as normal. I have Power BI Desktop installed from the Microsoft Store so wasn't able to roll back to the March version.

Hi @dunnakk ,

You can download the march version in the link above. It will not conflict with the version you install from the Microsoft Store.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm getting the same error. Any help?

dunnakk
Frequent Visitor

I'm getting this same issue this morning also.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors