Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PBIUWO
Helper III
Helper III

From a filter, populating a table with products that have similar or N number of matching value?

Hi,

I have a Visualization where I paste product codes, and there is a table below that is populated with information of the product.

Ex. Pasting ABC-123, populates

Product CodeProduct Info
ABC-123  Some Info

I'm wondering if I can paste Product Code, and on the table, it populates items that start with ABC

Ex. Pasting ABC-123 

populates

Product CodeProduct Info
ABC-123  Some Info
ABC-111

Some Info

ABC-222

Some Info

So to be exact, I want every product that have the first 4 values matching.

Thank you, 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Syndicate_Admin ,

Please refer to my .pbix file.

v-lionel-msft_0-1611122392585.png

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Syndicate_Admin ,

Please refer to my .pbix file.

v-lionel-msft_0-1611122392585.png

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@PBIUWO try the attached solution, tweak it as per your need. I hope this is what you are looking for.

Check my latest blog post Year-2020, Pandemic, Power BI and Beyond to get a summary of my favourite Power BI feature releases in 2020

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

@parry2k

This works well, thank you!

While selecting multiple items from the slicer/selection, the table only populates product codes similar from one of the slicer/selection.

Is there a way to populate the table with multiple products selected in the slicer? 

(Your solution, but for many selected in the slicer)

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@PBIUWO what you mean paste? Do you mean you have a slicer and you pick a product and then the table should show all the products matching with 4 letters of the product selected in the slicer? Is this what you want?

Read this post to get your answer quickly.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

@parry2k 

It's a 3rd party version of the search option in a slicer where I can paste/type values. But yes, essentially choosing a product from that "slicer" and populating all products that match the first 4 letters of the product in the slicer. 

Hi @PBIUWO ,

Is this what you want?

v-lionel-msft_1-1610518732676.png

v-lionel-msft_0-1610518698259.png

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

@Syndicate_Admin

Hi,

Thank you!

This is very close to what I want but I want to be able to type in the full product code or in your example, having the full product code in the XXX slicer and selecting it to populate products that have similar product codes (Left 4)
*With your method, adding the full product code column into the Table 2 and creating the relationship to Table 1. (But this creates a many to many relationship).

1) Type or selecting multiple in full product code (ABC-123, DEF-000) in the slicer

2) Table 1, populate product codes that are similar.

3) Table 2, would populate only the products that are exact to the selected.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.