Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JimTheBIGuy
Helper I
Helper I

From Power BI dataset not showing in Excel Get Data option

When I select Data from the menu and choose Get Data I don't see the "From Power BI dataset" as one of the options.

I have:

• Downloaded and installed the latest Analyze in Excel options from Power BI service
  • Looked in add ins under options in Excel. The option for Power BI is not an showing
  • In the Power BI service I selected a dataset and chose "Analyze in Excel". This works and creates a spreadsheet with the correct connection.

How can I add this feature to my data source selections?

13 REPLIES 13
MichaelVictor

You need to enable connection experiences in Excel. To enable follow the instructions: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-connect-excel-power-bi-datasets

delcastilloc

I'm having the same problem.

delcastilloc_0-1660667877790.png

I don't have the option.

delcastilloc_1-1660667947070.png

But other colleagues do have the option.

delcastilloc_2-1660668036314.pngdelcastilloc_3-1660668045622.png

I'm Premium user of Power BI.
If somebody could help me with this issue, will be really appreciated.
I need to add the power bi button from excel to import datasets from power bi Services.

JimTheBIGuy
Helper I
Helper I

not yet. I have tried using the file import from a SharePoint list and from OneDrive. Neither one works.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@JimTheBIGuy you need to change the O365 channel to current channel

parry2k_0-1614381404107.png

Check my latest blog post Improve UX: Show Year in Legend When Using Time Intelligence Measures | PeryTUS IT Solutions  I would ❤ Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

When I click on the "About Excel" button it opens a window with this info:

Microsoft Excel for Microsoft 365 MSO (16.0.13127.21210)

There is no option to change to current channel.

v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JimTheBIGuy ,

Here are some requirements for using Analyze in Excel, Please check the document.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-analyze-in-excel#requirements 

• Analyze in Excel is supported for Microsoft Excel 2010 SP1 and later.
  • Excel PivotTables do not support drag-and-drop aggregation of numeric fields. Your dataset in Power BI must have pre-defined measures. Read about creating measures.
  • Some organizations may have Group Policy rules that prevent installing the required Analyze in Excel updates to Excel. If you’re unable to install the updates, check with your administrator.
  • Analyze in Excel requires that the dataset be in Power BI Premium or that the user have a Power BI Pro license. To learn more about the differences in functionality between license types, take a look at the Power BI features comparison section of Power BI pricing.
  • Users can connect to datasets through Analyze in Excel if they have permission for the underlying dataset. A user could have this permission in a few ways, such as having the Member role in the workspace containing the dataset, or having Build permission for a dataset in a workspace or in an app that contains the dataset. Read more about Build permission for datasets.
  • Guest users can't use Analyze in Excel for datasets sent from (originating from) another tenant.
  • Analyze in Excel is a Power BI service feature, and isn't available in Power BI Report Server or Power BI Embedded.
  • Analyze in Excel is only supported on computers running Microsoft Windows.

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

I looked at all of the prerequisites listed above.

I am running O365 Excel, i.e. the current version. I have a premium license and am admin on the workspaces containing the underlying datasets.

I can choose analyze in Excel from the service and it works fine. My issue is with the ability to open Excel and have the option to connect to Power BI show up under the Get Data menu option. This is disconnected from the service as I am trying to access from Excel.

Yes, this is the same scenario for me, is there a way or a guide towards the enabling of the option? 

would appreciate some solution

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@JimTheBIGuy Are you using O365 E3 license?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

I thought this was resolved but now I have other users who are having the same problem. Is there a solution for this?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Once upgraded to pro license, we just signed out and sign in back to excel. After sometime the option got enabled automatically.

Yes I am using an E3 license

Anonymous
Not applicable

any solution on the above issue?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.