Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

From Excel data sources, need to create 5 different reports with different conditions

Hi guys

This is my first post in this community.

I was actually looking for some sort of design related guidelines for implementing my requirement with good effieciency.

I have 4 different excel data files from a third party source (TBL1,TBl2, TBL3 and TBL4)and I was asked to create 5 different reports with different conditions for each of the reports. All the tables can be joined by a Column which exists in all the tables.

Here some sample conditions

(Pull TBL1 Data -->If found in table TBL2.Clm1 and TBL2.CLM5=5

Pull TBL2 Data --> If found in TBL3.CLM1 and TBL2.CLM1 and TBL4.CLM3=1).

Some of these reports may be using just 2 tables to genrate requested output and some of the reports are using 3 tables to generate requested output.

here are my questions:

1) Can we accomplish this requirements with single data model loading all 4 tables

2) Do we need to import all tables into data model and create a New Table with the requirements and use the new tables to populate the reports.

Please suggest a best way to accomplish above requirement.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have accomplished the requirement by importing all 5 files into PowerBI and started building new tables using merged queries where i have applied all required left join (not in) conditions to filter out unwanted data.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

1) Can we accomplish this requirements with single data model loading all 4 tables

No, you need to create relationships\create measures or transform the data model.

2) Do we need to import all tables into data model and create a New Table with the requirements and use the new tables to populate the reports.

you need to import all tables, you can either create a new table or create measures and display in a table visual.

For more details, please share some example data for me to test.

In addition, 

Pull TBL1 Data -->If found in table TBL2.Clm1 and TBL2.CLM5=5

Pull TBL2 Data --> If found in TBL3.CLM1 and TBL2.CLM1 and TBL4.CLM3=1

Could you show an example to illustrate?

Are the values in a column which all the tables can be joined by distinct or repeated?

Best Regards
Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have accomplished the requirement by importing all 5 files into PowerBI and started building new tables using merged queries where i have applied all required left join (not in) conditions to filter out unwanted data.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.