Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Freezing date-table

Hello,

I have an issue where the date-table freezes for some time. This issue starts each time when I send a PBI-file to colleague and receive it back. It did not occur on my laptop, but it occurs for us both after the fact. To be more precise, it freezes for a long period of time when I am opening the table with the DAX-code. I am using SQLBI Date-table and its code.

I have attached the PBI-file as an example. It does not have any other tables than date-tables. The issue is with “Date”-table, where upon opening the table it freezes and I cannot save or move to another table. This is very annoying if I accidently open the date-table. On the contrary, “DimDate”-table has simple DAX-code in it and it always works.

This has happened many times before, like in years 2019 and 2018. It takes a lot of my work time and is very frustrating. I am looking for a root-cause or at least for a work-around here.

Update: I have deleted everything except for the date-table in the PBI-file and it started to work quicker. What can be the root-cause here?  I can’t do the same workaround for a complete PBI-file with everything in it.  Especially when it works on my laptop, but gets very slow in my collegues laptop. Collegue is using different locale, if it is of any help here.

Attached link to file.

Best regards,
Anton

3 REPLIES 3
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous 

This issue seems more related to your computer environment, have you try with a PC instead of a laptop. The speed of calculation or operation is pretty much depended on your computer processor, CPU, RAM, etc. you could create a support ticket from Power BI team for further analysis: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @V-pazhen-msft,

Thank you for your response. I am having the same date-table on a data model that is over 1 GB and it works as expected. However, as soon as I send it over to my colleague and get the PBI file back, the date-table starts to freeze. This is very strange, because the data model can be as small as 1,9MB and it still does the same. This happens only with the date-table from SQLBI and not with any other table.  Hence, I don’t think its computer’s performance issue here.

I was wondering if some part of SQLBI forces the DAX validation to rerun multiple times? It seems so when the PBI unfreezes and I click on a row with the DAX-code it freezes instantly for a while. I can post a picture of what I see when it gets frozen.

Here is a link to SQLBI calendar mentioned above.

Best regards,
Anton

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is a figure with the issue. I am able to scroll around, but whenever I click anywhere in the window with the DAX code it freezes for a while. I can't get my head around this issue. Has anybody else had the same issue? The data model is less than 2MB here, so it shouldn't be an issue. I am running on Lenovo ThinkPad T480s with Intel Core i7 8th generation.Issue with freezing while opening the DAX editor.JPG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.