Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

InstallBot

Forthcoming MSI retirement

According to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-get-the-desktop it will be sayonara to the MSI version of Desktop this month, after which the package will only be available as an EXE. Ordinarily installing the EXE on a system previously built using the MSI leads to the dreaded side-by-side scenario where neither the old nor the new versions work. Can we assume that the October EXE will have some means to cleanse MSI installations, or will there be special instructions? The Desktop Silent Install thread was instructive but didn't appear to mention this problem.

To explain my handle InstallBot, I have no idea how any of this stuff works - I just install it!

2 REPLIES 2
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @InstallBot 

As tested, i can upgrade Power BI Desktop from MSI version to exe version successfully.

• I download the exe file of the lastest version of Power BI Desktop,
  • Before install Power BI Desktop, I open Task Manager, end task for any Power BI Desktop file.
  • Then double click on the PBIDesktopSetup_x64 to install it, select the correct options step by step,
  • Finally i get a mew version installed.

Capture9.JPG

Sometimes, when facing issue when installing Power BI Desktop, you could follow the suggestions here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-error-launching-desktop

If you happen to any issues, please share the error message here so to find valid solution.

Best Regards
Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks, Maggie. I will give that a try when the October version appears, and place a further update on this thread.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.