Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

markive
Advocate II
Advocate II

Formula.Firewall: Query references other queries, so it may not directly access a data source.

I am getting the following error:

Formula.Firewall: Query 'Query1' (step 'Added Custom') references other queries or steps, so it may not directly access a data source. Please rebuild this data combination.

In my first query I am accessing an API to get a list of URLs. In the second query it uses this list of URLs to then go back to the API and request all of the data.

I understand what the complaint is, but how do I get around it? I am actually always hitting the same domain for both queries, but maybe it doesn't know that. I suppose it wouldn't know that until runtime.

I have read that in Excel PowerQuery you can go to:

File=>Options and Settings=>Options and set the Ignore Privacy Levels option.

But no such option seems to exist in Powe BI Desktop. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong or how I can get around this restriction, it seems like a common usage scenario?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ken Puls blogged about this here

http://www.excelguru.ca/blog/2015/03/11/power-query-errors-please-rebuild-this-data-combination/

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

54 REPLIES 54

Hey mate, have you found any 2023 solution?

I always know it's a good solution when I see Matt's name!

Thank you Matt. That solved the problem. 

The error can occur from privacy permissions as well. It may be necessary to take the steps outlined in the solution above and also to change the privacy options.  File>Options and settings>Query Options>Privacy

Then choose "Always ignore privacy level settings".

Thanks, this solved my today problem!

I actually ran across this same error...

Going to: Options --> CURRENT FILE --> Privacy then setting the Privacy Level to "ignore the privacy levels and potentailly improve performance" did the trick.

Thank you so much guys!

@zuludogm 

Fernando

Anonymous
Not applicable

That was brilliant, it worked like charm!!! thank you 🙂

I'm getting same error but Im not using excel sheet but sql stored procedure query. Is there any solution for this?

I found this video which fixed my problem with excel sheets too. Check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_kgvkgU8iI

@MattAllington Thank you for sharing, the Blog by Ken Puls, saved alot of my hair. (Very frustrating, but the below made sence and helped alot).

SNAGHTML409dfd44

Hi @MattAllington, thanks for the info.. 

Yes I was able to get around it just now by effectively moving all of the steps from the other query into the same query. This gets around the problem but it's a bit annoying.

@markive 

All steps in the same Query! Without "Reference"!!!

This did the trick!

You are a lifesaver!!!

Thank you so much!

Michael

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.