Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

paulj1
Helper II
Helper II

Formula Bar Taking up all my screen

Dont know if its default or ive done something but the formula bar is taking up all mt desktop..  gone to corner or bottom to get an arrow to make  smaller to no avail...

When I select the dates table in the fields list (which this DAX creates), the formula bar expands and cover the page that I am trying to create a visualisation on....

I know i can turn the formula bar off  and not show it at all, but i want to see it, i just want it to be smaller and not cover the whole of my screen with a scroll bar !!!

PowerBI Pic.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @paulj1 

This was updated in December 2018:

DAX formula bar updates
The DAX formula bar has several updates this month. The first is that you can now zoom on the formula bar, using either ctrl +/- keys or the ctrl + mouse wheel. This is great if the font size is too small or you need to present the DAX to a large group.

The second update is that you can now use a much larger view of the DAX formula bar. When expanding the DAX editor, the formula bar new takes up almost the full height of the Power BI Desktop, instead of the static 11 lines that was used previously.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-december-2018-feature-summary/#daxFormulaB...

And when you formula bar is expanded, you could click this arrow in the upper right corner to pack up it.

8.JPG

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @paulj1 

This was updated in December 2018:

DAX formula bar updates
The DAX formula bar has several updates this month. The first is that you can now zoom on the formula bar, using either ctrl +/- keys or the ctrl + mouse wheel. This is great if the font size is too small or you need to present the DAX to a large group.

The second update is that you can now use a much larger view of the DAX formula bar. When expanding the DAX editor, the formula bar new takes up almost the full height of the Power BI Desktop, instead of the static 11 lines that was used previously.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-december-2018-feature-summary/#daxFormulaB...

And when you formula bar is expanded, you could click this arrow in the upper right corner to pack up it.

8.JPG

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I adjust the height of the formula bar. I can only see how to have a single line, or to have it take up the entire screen. I really need to be able to adjust the height - or only have it as tall as the actual height of the dax. 

It's really frustrating when your editing a dax formula which is say only 5 lines tall - and when editing the formula, you are trying to see the changes to your visualisations - but the formula bar is taking up the entire screen - so you can't see what is happening.

There must be a keyboard short cut or something, to have it revert to the actual height of the dax formula. Currently I have to completely minimise it to see the visualisations - which takes at least two or three clicks. And then click again to expand and make more changes.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have since found that to get back to the bar only being as tall as the current lines - you need to click on another field in the side bar, and then back onto the current field. It then resizes to only be as tall as needed.

I was facing the same issue and your workaround did the part! thanks. I feel this is definitely a bug that they should work on fixing because who needs the whole page when they only have 5 lines of code? Let me know if there is a link to upvote this bug.

Thankyou....   I guessed it might be something simple, i had hit that arrow, but only once, didnt realise it had a toggle.....

Thankyou !

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.