Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Formula Alternative

I've created a measure designed to provide the average of the previous quarter's retention rates:

1.PNG

This works as intended, however my dashboard is now really sluggish. I'm guessing from the amount of calculating going on in the background.  Anything I click on now needs 1-2 minutes to get itself together and the PBI file opens up slow as well if I close it. Is there any other way to get the same result without the formula slowing down my entire dashboard?

Just as an FYI, the dates come from a date table and the [retention] measure is coming from my fact table. My [retention] measure references my date table which is how the 2 are displaying in the same visual above.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-jiascu-msft Hi Dale, yes I've solved it. It's the long way I suppose but everything else I tried either returned blank values, or not the correct values. So what I did was create 3 measures that simply return the value at the end of each month that looks like this:

1.PNG

So the other 2 formulas would just say [Date Month] = 2 and [Date Month] = 3. This ensures that my values will remain exact. I then have this formula using all 3 measures:

1.PNG

It works exactly like I want it to, I just have to remember to come in and update the values for each measure when the next quarter arrives. So the measures next quarter will be changed to 7, 8 and 9. I've changed them to 4, 5 and 6 as of this morning to reflect quarter 2 results.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Did you solve it? Can you share the answer or mark the proper answer as a solution please?

Best Regards,
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-jiascu-msft Hi Dale, yes I've solved it. It's the long way I suppose but everything else I tried either returned blank values, or not the correct values. So what I did was create 3 measures that simply return the value at the end of each month that looks like this:

1.PNG

So the other 2 formulas would just say [Date Month] = 2 and [Date Month] = 3. This ensures that my values will remain exact. I then have this formula using all 3 measures:

1.PNG

It works exactly like I want it to, I just have to remember to come in and update the values for each measure when the next quarter arrives. So the measures next quarter will be changed to 7, 8 and 9. I've changed them to 4, 5 and 6 as of this morning to reflect quarter 2 results.

Hi @Anonymous,

Thank you so much for sharing the solution.

Best Regards,

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Maybe you can try the formula below. If you'd like a more precise formula, please provide a sample.

Last Quarter Retention =
CALCULATE (
    AVERAGEX ( SUMMARIZE ( 'Date', "R", [Retention] ), [R] ),
    PREVIOUSQUARTER ( 'Date'[Date] )
)

Best Regards,

Dale

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.