Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

chenko90
Frequent Visitor

Forming relationships with different data

Hi, 

I am trying to create some relationships in my report and am running into issues. I have three different excel sources that i am using in one report. I need to be able to filter them all by month and also by department. They each have both of those columns in their data. When i go to create the relationship it sets it as many to many and then if i try to do another one it gives me an error.....

power bi error.JPG

I tried doing the create a measure work around but i can't seem to do more than one so then it only lets me filter on one column and i need two. Can someone tell me what i am doing wrong.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @chenko90,

Create. Calendar table and a department table with unique values then use those table to relate all other tables that way you will have 1 to many relationships and will be able to make all the calculations on your model.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Many to many is supported but it should not create two patch for the same set of table.

In case you have dates. It is always preferred to use date calendar.

You can also create a month calendar

MonthTable = 
    var FullCalendar = ADDCOLUMNS(CALENDAR("2016/1/1","2017/12/31"),"Month Number",MONTH([Date]),"Year",YEAR([Date]),"Year-Month",LEFT(FORMAT([Date],"yyyyMMdd"),6),"Month Name",FORMAT(MONTH([Date]),"MMM"),"Year-MonthName",YEAR([Date]) & " " & FORMAT(MONTH([Date]),"MMM"))
    return 
    SUMMARIZE(FullCalendar,[Month Number],[Year],[Year-Month],[Year-MonthName])

To get the best of the time intelligence function. Make sure you have a date calendar and it has been marked as the date in model view. Also, join it with the date column of your fact/s.

Refer
https://radacad.com/creating-calendar-table-in-power-bi-using-dax-functions
https://www.archerpoint.com/blog/Posts/creating-date-table-power-bi

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/creating-a-simple-date-table-in-dax/

Appreciate your Kudos. In case, this is the solution you are looking for, mark it as the Solution. In case it does not help, please provide additional information and mark me with @
Thanks. My Recent Blog -
Winner-Topper-on-Map-How-to-Color-States-on-a-Map-with-Winners , HR-Analytics-Active-Employee-Hire-and-Termination-trend
Power-BI-Working-with-Non-Standard-Time-Periods And Comparing-Data-Across-Date-Ranges

Connect on Linkedin

MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @chenko90,

Create. Calendar table and a department table with unique values then use those table to relate all other tables that way you will have 1 to many relationships and will be able to make all the calculations on your model.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

edhans
Super User
Super User

If Power BI is forcing it to many-to-many then that means you don't aren't connecting two fields that are unique in one of the tables. Can you post a screenshot of your model, and a bit more details on what you mean when you say you filter on two columns and it won't let you? Filtering on 2+ columns shouldn't be an issue.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors