Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vishy86
Post Patron
Post Patron

Formatting or settings to be done to showcase negative values

Hi,

I have a measure which is a sum of 2 columns:

Measure = SUM(Column A) + SUM(Column B)

PS: This is not a currency value.

When I use the measure in a Table visualization and see its values across a dimention, I see that there are a couple of places where the values appear as 1E-12 and -2E-13. However, when I export the results to excel, these values appear as 0 but on clicking on the cell, I see 1.30739863379858E-12 and -2.27373675443232E-13 on the fomula bar in excel.

Is there any formatting I need to do in Power BI to show the negative values as they are in a calculation?

If the addition results in a negative value, lets's say -1.307, I should see the same value in the report.

Regards,

Vishy

4 REPLIES 4
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @vishy86,

Please set the format for that measure to "Scientific" under Modeling tab.

1.PNG

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Yuliana,

I do not want the numbers to appear in scientific format. If the addition results in a value which is similar to the one in your test, it should display 0 as I have set the formatting to round off and not show decimal points. Format is Decimal Number.

Except the 2 rows, rest all show 0 in my Power BI report.

I checked SQL as well and queried for the same, the result is 0 as both the columns have value 0.

Please let me know if there is any formatting I am missing. I need the value to show as 0 and not in scientific format.

Regards,

Vishy

Hi,

I used the ROUND() DAX function and it resolved the issue i.e. ROUND(SUM,0). It got rid of the numbers displated in scientific format.

Not sure, why the Format -> Field Formatting -> Value decimal places 0 did not work.

Same setting was checked in Modeling tab as well and Format was Decimal Number with 0 decimal places.

Any tips or suggestions on the above would be helpful. Thanks.

Regards,

Vishy

vishy86
Post Patron
Post Patron

Just to clarify, I am not sure those values 1E-12 and -2E-13 are negative. 

Except these 2 values, rest seem ok.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.