Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Mo_2020

Formatting on dataset instead of report in Powerbi

Hi all,

Is it possible to format (with colors) specific values already in your dataset?

Example:

I am looking at apples, bananas, strawberries in 3 reports of the same dataset.

In 1 report apples are green, bananas are yellow and strawberries are red. 

In 2nd report apples are red, bananas are blue and strawberries are yellow. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Mo,

In that case the Above mentioned method of adding a colour column would come closest to a solution. this would work for all visuals that support conditional formatting and will automatically change the colour of the category to the corresponding colour hex.

Alternatively you could use the "default colours" option on all visuals. this would unify the colours used for every category over all visuals, but would not enable you to specifically choose the colour of every category (by changing the theme of your report file you can roughly change the colour pallette of the default colours though).

Regards,

Tim

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
timg
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi Mo,

visually the options within the dataset are quite limited because this layer is meant for cleaning and transforming data you will be using in your report. the presentation of that data (visuals/formatting/etc.) takes place in the report editor.

You could add a "ProductColour" column in your dataset if the goal is to provide more context about the data and automatically have the colours in the report change based on the column value if this is what you are looking for. You can do this by adding a column with the colour hex code to your dataset. Then, in the conditional formatting option in the report editor you can add conditional formatting based on field value. This will result in all values being shown in the colour that you have defined in your dataset. 

1.PNG

Regards,

Tim

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your advice, after your answer I realise my explanation is not completely clear..:)

I use the data in graphs and would like the fruits to have the same color in every legend.

Do you perhaps know if there is an option for that?

So every time I use apples in a graph it would be for example green.

Hi Mo,

In that case the Above mentioned method of adding a colour column would come closest to a solution. this would work for all visuals that support conditional formatting and will automatically change the colour of the category to the corresponding colour hex.

Alternatively you could use the "default colours" option on all visuals. this would unify the colours used for every category over all visuals, but would not enable you to specifically choose the colour of every category (by changing the theme of your report file you can roughly change the colour pallette of the default colours though).

Regards,

Tim

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.