Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Formatting non existing values

Hey,

Lets say I have a column chart. I derive the data from a table and I want to show the number of records by status.

Potentialy, I have 5 different statuses in the table. But currently there are only 4 existing values.

I want to format the colors of the bars.

How can I format the 5th value? It is not in the table, but it will be there in the future.

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd suggest creating a brand new table using "Enter Data" with 1 row for each of your known values.  Link this table (1 to many) to your data table.

Now in your visual, put in the column from your Enter data table and format as you expected.

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Based on the description of your problem, you want to pre-configure the colours of your values. How else would you set up a configuration of those colours without something that requires maintenance?  The use of "Enter Data" of a linked table is about as tiny as the mainentance could be.

The only "half way between" I can think of would be for you to create a Theme file, and make sure you have the correct colouring in the order you want.  This will still be a dynamic solution, but you would have some amount of control on what colours should turn up.  This won't ever be perfect, as sometimes your colouring might get out of order if there are uncontrollable circumstances (such as a missing data value changing the ordering).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd suggest creating a brand new table using "Enter Data" with 1 row for each of your known values.  Link this table (1 to many) to your data table.

Now in your visual, put in the column from your Enter data table and format as you expected.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous

Thanks for the answer.

While it is valid technically, th sollution is hard to maintain.

I might have a few cases like this and the solution will be hard to maintain.

For example, the values might change with time in a few places in my report(s).

Cheers mate!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Based on the description of your problem, you want to pre-configure the colours of your values. How else would you set up a configuration of those colours without something that requires maintenance?  The use of "Enter Data" of a linked table is about as tiny as the mainentance could be.

The only "half way between" I can think of would be for you to create a Theme file, and make sure you have the correct colouring in the order you want.  This will still be a dynamic solution, but you would have some amount of control on what colours should turn up.  This won't ever be perfect, as sometimes your colouring might get out of order if there are uncontrollable circumstances (such as a missing data value changing the ordering).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Guess there is no better options.

Thank you for the answers.

A

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.