Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Formatting multiple column titles at a time

I have a report that is combining data from multiple sources.

Data source 1 is the source of record. From there, I pull the corresponding data from the other sources so that differences can be worked on. Not every data source has all of the columns from data source 1

So my columns would be 

Member ID

Name from data source 1

Birth date from data source 1

Gender from data source 1

County from data source 1

Name from data source 2

Birth date from data source 2

County from data source 2

Name from data source 3

Birth date from data source 3

Gender from data source 3

I would like all of the fields from data source 1 to have the header highlighted in green, the fields from data source 2 in blue, 3 in pink, and so on. In the table below I just changed the font for each section to given an example.

Each data source can have up to 10 fields, and there are 5 data sources. 

Member IDNameBirth Date GenderCountyNameBirth DateCountyNameBirth DateGender
1234William Summers1/1/1980MOntarioJohn J. Summers1/1/1960 John Summers1/2/1960M
5678Alex Giles5/6/1981MWayneA. Giles WayneAlexandra Giles F

I know that I can format each column individually, but is there any way to apply a format to a group of columns so that I would only have to do it 5 times instead of 50? I know that there is more of this type of reporting in our backlog, so I'd love to find an elegant solution.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

As far as I know, currently power bi could not supoort format multiple columns at a time in visuals.

You can create a new idea here to help us improve power bi.

It is a place for customers provide feedback about Microsoft Office products . What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

As far as I know, currently power bi could not supoort format multiple columns at a time in visuals.

You can create a new idea here to help us improve power bi.

It is a place for customers provide feedback about Microsoft Office products . What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

That was my fear - thank you. There are some great things about PowerBI but the need to do most things one by one is very frustrating.

samdthompson
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hello, yes it is. Go to the relationship view and select multiple fields then format. It may or maynot ask you to have the modern look enabled but most likely you will be up to date anyway:

2021-05-11_7-26-41.jpg

// if this is a solution please mark as such. Kudos always appreciated.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the great tip, but unfortunately that's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking to actually format the columns in the visual - for example, highlighting the column header.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.