Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

smallean
Regular Visitor

Formatting in excel isnt picked up in Power Bi Desktop but does work when importing on the web

Given that there is not way to update the formatting of multiple columns at a time, is there a way to have Power Bi use the formatting in the Excel.  For instnace, if the field in Excel is a percentage (%) with two decimals, is there a way to have Power BI use that for its formatting. I have tried connection formatted Excel sheets but I end up having to go back and do it again in Power BI.  I loaded a sample table through the web interface and it worked great but it doesnt work when using desktop.  If there was a way to link tables on the web I wouldnt need the desktop.  So I can either link tables and have to format each column one at a time or use the web which picks up when it is a %, $ etc and not have linked tables.  Am I misisng something?

2 REPLIES 2
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@smallean

Thanks for your feecback. You can sumbit your requirement on Power BI ideas and vote it up. Meanwhile I will report your feedback internally, our engineer will evaluate it and take good consideration about it. 

BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi@smallean

PowerBI Engine internally checks the data type of the column automatically when you edit/load the data in the PowerBI through different sources.

Most of the time, It picks up the correct data type but sometimes you need to override these formatting by going back to the query stage and updating the data type of the column. This should either done at the query stage or after you load the data and realised that the data type is not picked up correctly.

Hope this has clarified your understanding.

Thanks & Regards,

Bhavesh

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.