Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SuchCT
Helper II
Helper II

Formatting data for Sankey Visual

Hello,

I'm trying to show data in a Sankey Visual. It should recieve Source, Destination and Weight. The data is a structured in a way that makes it difficult right now. Does anyone know a way to turn it from this into something more "Sankey friendly"?

Order ID    Item      Sent       Returned   OK     NOK

A                  1             444          195          138     58
A29341768096
A35691551496
A450921887132
B189117161
B225213714123
C142424123
C2812709113596
D132314032107
E153319245146

I´m adding an example for order A on a format that would work but I don't know how to achieve it

OrderID     Item   Source       Destination      Weight

A                  1          Sent           Returned          195
A1SentNot Returned249
A1ReturnedOK138
A1ReturnedNOK58
A2SentReturned176
A2SentNot Returned758
A2ReturnedOK80
A2ReturnedNOK96
A3SentReturned155
A3SentNot Returned414
A3ReturnedOK149
A3ReturnedNOK6
A4SentReturned218
A4SentNot Returned291
A4ReturnedOK87
A4ReturnedNOK132

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

What story are you trying to tell?  Percentage of erroneously returned items?

Sankey is not the right chart for this.  Try a funnel chart.

But if you insist - here's the Power Query to convert your data into Sankey format.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("ZU9JDsIwDPwKyrmHeMtyhMIrqv7/G2SGFChEijWZxXa2LV0vfyctSX4Jdz8bepzf1g4YLe3LaDygjtvNodcyassgyls32EuHHoHqwB8dycjgVBrylaOUhhswyC4cgFLIHSrGaygzlLmJGg3rjLuCZcHzS0WwCWrlDiLcd+5/nwFTY+tMDJgrDY9pCKOhQ/PXL0eH/Qk=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Order ID" = _t, Item = _t, Sent = _t, Returned = _t, OK = _t, NOK = _t]),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(Source,{"Order ID", "Item", "Sent", "Returned", "OK"}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Removed Other Columns",{{"Sent", Int64.Type}, {"Returned", Int64.Type}, {"OK", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Source", each "Sent"),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "Destination", each "Returned"),
    #"Reordered Columns" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Added Custom1",{"Order ID", "Item", "Source", "Destination", "Returned", "Sent", "OK"}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Reordered Columns",{{"Returned", "Weight"}}),
    SentReturned = Table.SelectColumns(#"Renamed Columns",{"Order ID", "Item", "Source", "Destination", "Weight"}),
    #"Added Custom2" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "Destination", each "Not Returned"),
    #"Added Custom3" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom2", "Weight", each [Sent]-[Returned]),
    SentNotReturned = Table.SelectColumns(#"Added Custom3",{"Order ID", "Item", "Source", "Destination", "Weight"}),
    #"Added Custom4" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Source", each "Returned"),
    #"Added Custom5" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom4", "Destination", each "OK"),
    #"Reordered Columns1" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Added Custom5",{"Order ID", "Item", "Sent", "Returned", "Source", "Destination", "OK"}),
    #"Renamed Columns1" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Reordered Columns1",{{"OK", "Weight"}}),
    ReturnedOK = Table.SelectColumns(#"Renamed Columns1",{"Order ID", "Item", "Source", "Destination", "Weight"}),
    #"Added Custom6" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom4", "Destination", each "NOK"),
    #"Added Custom7" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom6", "Weight", each [Returned]-[OK]),
    ReturnedNOK = Table.SelectColumns(#"Added Custom7",{"Order ID", "Item", "Source", "Destination", "Weight"})
in
    SentReturned & SentNotReturned & ReturnedOK & ReturnedNOK

How to use this code: Create a new Blank Query. Click on "Advanced Editor". Replace the code in the window with the code provided here. Click "Done".

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Hello, reading the post and trying to put the breakdown of an income statement in zankey, I have the doubt of how I do to make the data appear and even make the link wider.

Thanks a lot.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

What story are you trying to tell?  Percentage of erroneously returned items?

Sankey is not the right chart for this.  Try a funnel chart.

But if you insist - here's the Power Query to convert your data into Sankey format.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("ZU9JDsIwDPwKyrmHeMtyhMIrqv7/G2SGFChEijWZxXa2LV0vfyctSX4Jdz8bepzf1g4YLe3LaDygjtvNodcyassgyls32EuHHoHqwB8dycjgVBrylaOUhhswyC4cgFLIHSrGaygzlLmJGg3rjLuCZcHzS0WwCWrlDiLcd+5/nwFTY+tMDJgrDY9pCKOhQ/PXL0eH/Qk=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Order ID" = _t, Item = _t, Sent = _t, Returned = _t, OK = _t, NOK = _t]),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(Source,{"Order ID", "Item", "Sent", "Returned", "OK"}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Removed Other Columns",{{"Sent", Int64.Type}, {"Returned", Int64.Type}, {"OK", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Source", each "Sent"),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "Destination", each "Returned"),
    #"Reordered Columns" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Added Custom1",{"Order ID", "Item", "Source", "Destination", "Returned", "Sent", "OK"}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Reordered Columns",{{"Returned", "Weight"}}),
    SentReturned = Table.SelectColumns(#"Renamed Columns",{"Order ID", "Item", "Source", "Destination", "Weight"}),
    #"Added Custom2" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "Destination", each "Not Returned"),
    #"Added Custom3" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom2", "Weight", each [Sent]-[Returned]),
    SentNotReturned = Table.SelectColumns(#"Added Custom3",{"Order ID", "Item", "Source", "Destination", "Weight"}),
    #"Added Custom4" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Source", each "Returned"),
    #"Added Custom5" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom4", "Destination", each "OK"),
    #"Reordered Columns1" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Added Custom5",{"Order ID", "Item", "Sent", "Returned", "Source", "Destination", "OK"}),
    #"Renamed Columns1" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Reordered Columns1",{{"OK", "Weight"}}),
    ReturnedOK = Table.SelectColumns(#"Renamed Columns1",{"Order ID", "Item", "Source", "Destination", "Weight"}),
    #"Added Custom6" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom4", "Destination", each "NOK"),
    #"Added Custom7" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom6", "Weight", each [Returned]-[OK]),
    ReturnedNOK = Table.SelectColumns(#"Added Custom7",{"Order ID", "Item", "Source", "Destination", "Weight"})
in
    SentReturned & SentNotReturned & ReturnedOK & ReturnedNOK

How to use this code: Create a new Blank Query. Click on "Advanced Editor". Replace the code in the window with the code provided here. Click "Done".

Thanks for your answer, it seems like that would be the answer. However the data in this post was just an example, what I have is a Power BI Table that has several columns, including the ones that are used in this graph. How could one adapt your code to work for that?

I think that Sankey is the correct graph because what I have to do is show from all the sent items where did each one go they could be returned or not, and the ones that are returned can have multiple explanations.

I'm still not convinced that this tells a good story

lbendlin_0-1634646902459.png

My code should work regardless of any other columns that you may have.

Thank you so much, clearly that's the answer. 
I'm still not sure how to apply that code to take the columns form my BI instead of the sample data but I´ll figure it out.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.