Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Formatting Year and Calendar Week

Hello, 

I have a data set, which includes a column for year (2018 and 2019) and a column for calendar week (1,2,3...)

Is it possible to format the columns so that they are recognized as year and calendar week ? 

The data set is too large for a daily basis data set. 

Thanks

Anil

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

have you a Year dimension table? Or have you just one large table?

If you have a table Calendar with the list of Year, you can create these measures:

TotalValue = SUM(Value)

TotalValue PY = CALCULATE([TotalValue], FILTER( ALL(Calendar), Calendar[Year] = MAX(Calendar[Year])-1))

Total Value YoY = TotalValue - TotalValue PY

% vs TotalVaue PY = DIVIDE(Total Value YoY,  TotalValue PY)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
adityavighne
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Try this -

Year-Wk = YEAR ( DS_1[Execution Date] ) & "-" & CONCATENATE ( IF ( WEEKNUM ( DS_1[Execution Date],21 ) < 10, "0", "" ), WEEKNUM (DS_1[Execution Date] , 21) )
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe my problem description was not well described from my side.

When I build graphs within Powerbi, I want to calculate the sales change in % between 2019 and 2018.

Under quick measures I can select the calculation " change in comparison to previous year". Aftwerwards, I need to select the data field, based on which the previous year calculation should be made.

The problem starts after this point. I cannot select the column "Year" as a basis for the previous year calculation. It is not accepted as a date format. Since I have only the year and not the day, I could not find a way to solve this issue.

Thanks for your time 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

have you a Year dimension table? Or have you just one large table?

If you have a table Calendar with the list of Year, you can create these measures:

TotalValue = SUM(Value)

TotalValue PY = CALCULATE([TotalValue], FILTER( ALL(Calendar), Calendar[Year] = MAX(Calendar[Year])-1))

Total Value YoY = TotalValue - TotalValue PY

% vs TotalVaue PY = DIVIDE(Total Value YoY,  TotalValue PY)

So you want to calculate Year-on -Year % change?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, but my column  "year" is not recognized in the selection field as a valid option.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Even though I tricked and entered fake dates I recieved the following error message (sorry for german)

Netto Umsatz YoY% 2 =
IF(
    ISFILTERED('powerbi'[Datum]);
    ERROR("Quickmeasures mit Zeitintelligenz können nur über die von Power BI bereitgestellte Datumshierarchie oder die primäre Datumsspalte gruppiert oder gefiltert werden.");
    VAR __PREV_YEAR =
        CALCULATE(
            SUM('powerbi'[Netto Umsatz]);
            DATEADD('powerbi'[Datum].[Date]; -1; YEAR)
        )
    RETURN
        DIVIDE(SUM('powerbi'[Netto Umsatz]) - __PREV_YEAR; __PREV_YEAR)
)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.