cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Re: Formatting SSAS values (Live connection/explore live)

This unfotunately is no longer working. I agree with the semantic layer concept but since November 2016, Power BI is no longer taking into account the SSAS formatting contains in the metadata. Please

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I've had to raise a premier support ticket on this to get any response from Microsoft.  From the support engineer:

"After our local investigation, we found we can actually reproduce similar symptom in our local house. Basically in the backend Power BI will fire DAX queries against Cube directly (we call it DAXMD). At this moment, DAXMD still does not support formatting, so currency does not delegate over. "

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Hello Braggilicious,

Thanks for your message. Unfortunately the support engineer's answer is partially incorrect when he says:

"At this moment, DAXMD still does not support formatting, so currency does not delegate over "

Maybe since the December 2016 update that is true, but before the formatting from a SSAS live connection was perfectly working.

Since that topic is considered as closed with an accepted answer, I created a new topic where you can see the difference before VS after the update here http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Formatting-SSAS-values-with-a-Live-connection-WAS-working-un...

Hopefully your contact can have a closer look at the issue.

Before-Ater-Dec-16-update.JPG

Thank you

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I have the same issue.  All SSAS MD formatting abruptly lost in PowerBI on 19th Jan.  Please fix ASAP.

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Hello @stevel, would you mind to change the status of the topic?

@jmford and I are having the same issue: SSAS MD formatting was perfectly working until the December 2016 update and since then it's no longer working.

I opened a MS ticket and Power BI Engineers basically said they're aware of the issue but have no ETA to provide us with, and no workaround for now.

This is really annoying, because we've been formatting fields for over a year in all our reports and suddenly it's broken with no alternative.

Displaying 3.00 instead of 300% is really confusing for the end-user, it's really basic but still a fundamental piece when it comes to user adoption.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

In my case I was able to resolve this by backing out a load of changes to calculated members in my SSAS MD cube.  I am unclear specifically what the error (or char) was in the formatting that allowed the cube to deploy and calculate but corrupted the formatting in PowerBI.  However when I reverted the changes - the problem was resolved.  It was not a PowerBI service issue.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Since the fix in February, unless the aggregation function in the cube is SUM/AVG/COUNT then no formatting is applied to the measure. The ByAccount, FirstNonEmpty, LastNonEmpty, FirstChild, LastChild, AverageOfChildren aggregations do not display the correct format.

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

@jmford: this is weird because I have never changed the formatting of my calculations ("$#,##0;($#,##0)"). I entered it directly via the interface in VS early in 2016, and then it stopped working since December.

@Braggilicious: my calculation is based on a SUM, but formatting is not working though.

issue formatting.jpg

Highlighted

Not sure why we tagged as - Solved!

This is a big limitation of Power BI at this point. I don't think reporting formatting need should drive underline data source change. If the cube is a data source for bigger group, one report's formatting need will not make cube change.

Highlighted

Not sure why its says - Solved!

I think this is a very big limitation of the tool. In real world a reprts formatting need will never drive to make changes to underline data source (cube). In fact its not possible to do. Two different reports can have different formatting needs which one you will put in Cube. Not good, something to work on asap for Power BI team.

As we say "You don't get second chance to make first impression!" this one is not good 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
May 2020 Community Highlights

May 2020 Community Highlights

It’s time for another PBI Community recap!

Community Blog

Community Blog

Visit our Community Blog for articles, guides, and information created by fellow community members.

Using the Community

Using the Community

Need help with the Power BI Community? Our 'Using the Community' support articles are a great place to start.

Galleries

Galleries

Looking for inspiration on how to present your data? Need instructional videos? Check out our Galleries!

Top Solution Authors