Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Formatting Issue - Data Labels

Hi,

I'm having trouble trying to format the data label size in a clustred column chart.

My report originally had an old style imported theme (as in, my own customised theme in JSON code). I have recently updated Power BI desktop from the older version I was using and now I don't seem to be able to control the text size of the data labels. Screen shot below.

The text size seems to be 'frozen' at 7.2pt and has a red border around the field.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

MartynData Labels.PNG 

7 REPLIES 7
VasTg
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@Anonymous 

The minimum font size that power bi allows is 8. Try that in your JSON and see if that works.

If it helps, mark it as a solution

Kudos are nice too

Connect on LinkedIn
Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to the Format pane. Select Detail labels function. Go to Label position. Change from Outside to Inside.

tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi,

From what i can tell PBI Desktop can't handle text size in decimal values and my guess is that it bugs out due to the specifications in the theme. If your aim is to continue using this custom theme i would advice you to change the config to whole number. 

Br,

J

Connect on LinkedIn
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous do you have text size in json theme file?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @parry2k@tex628 and @Anonymous for your replies.

The JSON file had no text size detail included. @Anonymous I've given your suggestion a try and the text is still holiding at 7.2pt for some reason.

Some more info if this helps diasnose the problem:

When I opened my report in the updated version of Power BI desktop, all was fine, however the background colour of my 'mobile view' report pages was green. I had to make changes to the theme using the newer style theme customisation to remove the green background (which bizarrely only shows on the mobile pages). But this has now given me the issue of the 7.2pt size data labels which I can't change. Maybe Power BI reports struggle to format as you'd like them to if they have a mixture of themes? - as in a report that uses an imported theme from a JSON file AND updated theme formatting using the newer style theme customisation?

Strange

tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

Some type of compability issue when modifying an old custom theme doesn't sound to far fetched. If you know how, you could try and directly change the text size in the JSON file. Otherwise i would start with @parry2k's suggestion and try temporarily changing to a different theme to se if that allows you to toggle off the 7,2 size. 

Br,
J

Connect on LinkedIn

@Anonymous can you try to use some in-built default theme and see if that works and allows you to make the changes. Let's isolate the problem and use something default and go from there.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.