Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

iraf
Frequent Visitor

Formatting Column and Data

In a data file that I have brought into powerbi, one particular column/field is 98% made up of 5 or 6 numbers, and the balance is made up of a combination of numbers and letters, like this - DS2-1328-000002.

I then tried to create a relationship between two files, using the same field as the common denominator, and I get an error message. I tried to format the column so both numbers and the number / letter combination are shown properly, but i cant seem to figure that out.

Any ideas ?

6 REPLIES 6
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @iraf,

According to your description, one table contained a particular field which had numbers, and combination of numbers and letters (DS2-1328-000002). When you used the same field on two tables to build relationship, there was a error throws out, right?

In your scenario, this particular field should be Text data type. Does the same field mean this particular column? If that is a case, the same field in other table needs to be Text also mentioned by @CahabaData. If not, how about other fields? Can you share the detail error message and some screenshots about data tables for our analysis?

By the way, to create relationship, you can take a look at this article: Create and manage relationships in Power BI Desktop. About changing data type for a column, see: Data types in Power BI Desktop.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for both responses.

So I followed both steps to make sure that both columns are in text data format. Wen I tried to create the relationship again, I got an error message referencing unique values. I have no idea what that menas at this point, and do not know how to resolve. I have attached a screenshot of that error message.

Thank you again.

10.6.16.Relationship screen shot.PNG

if in both of your two tables the values do repeat - then you need to create a reference table.  Then you join both tables to that.

www.CahabaData.com

i am having trouble finding any knowlege base articles on how to set up a reference table. can you direct me in the rigt direction ?

sorry I think I just invented that term and it is not official.....

a table that has all the values - but never a duplicate.  The table could be a single column - though let's say a product table might have the official product # but then also a decriptor maybe even a unit price.

you can import it, or build it manually, or derive it by appending other tables' columns to a new table and then taking a DISTINCT/VALUES of it.

www.CahabaData.com
CahabaData
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

That field is necessarily a text field.  Which is okay unto itself.  But then to join to the other table it must be a text type field as well - so this data type mismatch could be the culprit.

In SQL we can do a many to many join but in a Power BI app I believe for the join you want 1 table that has only unique values.  So if in both of your two tables the values do repeat - then you need to create a reference table.  Then you join both tables to that.

www.CahabaData.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.