Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ndna74
Frequent Visitor

Format table to enable value comparison using DAX

Month

NameBalance
AugustLoan A1000
AugustLoan B2000
AugustLoan C2500
AugustLoan D1500
AugustLoan E3000
SeptemberLoan A1100
SeptemberLoan B2000
SeptemberLoan C2600
SeptemberLoan D1600
SeptemberLoan E3000

I receive external monthly data and I add it to a table as above. I use a columnar approach rather than matrix. 

Can I use DAX to compare the change in value at loan level and in total? The data will build as the year progresses.

Many thanks

Nick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @ndna74,

>>Could you also show me how to show the change in value each month? For example, how to show that loan A has increased by 100 between August and September.

For your requirement, I merge the month and name columns to create a detail name column.

Formula: Table = SELECTCOLUMNS(Sheet2,"Name",CONCATENATE([Month]&"-",[Name]),"Balance",[Balance])

Capture.PNG

Create a visual with new columns:

Capture2.PNG

Click on "..." button to modify the sort column:

Capture3.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ndna74,

Based on my understanding, you want to get the result of current month balance/ total balance, right?

If it is a case, you can follow below steps to achieve your requirement.

Table:

Capture.PNG

Measure:

Percent =
var currtemp= LASTNONBLANK(Sheet5[Month],[Month])
return
MAX(Sheet5[Balance])/ SUMX(FILTER(ALL(Sheet5),Sheet5[Month]=currtemp),[Balance])

Format the value to "%":

Capture3.PNG

Create the visual:

Capture2.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thanks that's really helpful.

Could you also show me how to show the change in value each month? For example, how to show that loan A has increased by 100 between August and September.

Regards

Nick

Hi @ndna74,

>>Could you also show me how to show the change in value each month? For example, how to show that loan A has increased by 100 between August and September.

For your requirement, I merge the month and name columns to create a detail name column.

Formula: Table = SELECTCOLUMNS(Sheet2,"Name",CONCATENATE([Month]&"-",[Name]),"Balance",[Balance])

Capture.PNG

Create a visual with new columns:

Capture2.PNG

Click on "..." button to modify the sort column:

Capture3.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Thanks very much

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.