Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Format bar chart bar's to the left

I have two bar charts, I want the bottom one to be formatted, so that the bars start on the left, like the top bar chart is.

I understand why it starts from the right, because those figures are all negative, but I need it to be from the right like the top bar graph, but with the figures staying as negative.

It currently looks like this:

Capture.PNG

Does anyone know how I can do this?

I should also mention that the labels need to stay on the left.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous 

ahhh... those pesky pence causing a nuisance...😊

Try typing in: -"£"#,0.00;-"£"#,0.00

Pounds.JPG

(the thousands and decimal seperators shown in the example value in my case correspond to the spanish definition (my pc local settings) so just ignore them; it should render as "," for thousands and "." for decimals for you - in other words, respecting your local settings.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous 

One method is:

1) make your measure into positive values (measure *-1)

2) go into the modeling pane, select the measure, go to the format option, choose custom in the dropdown, and format the values to display negative values:

Open Modeling paneOpen Modeling pane

Format values to display negative values:

cutom format.JPG

and you can now create your bar chart:

Bar Chart with potive (negative) Values.JPG

Just beware that the measure format remains wherever you use this measure!

Paul on Linkedin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Were almost there, the right graph is the new one:

Capture.PNG

I changed the format to: -£#,##.##;-£#,##.##

But as you can see in the image, when the sum doesn't have any pence at the end, it just shows £15 instead of £15.00, any idea how I sort that?

@Anonymous 

ahhh... those pesky pence causing a nuisance...😊

Try typing in: -"£"#,0.00;-"£"#,0.00

Pounds.JPG

(the thousands and decimal seperators shown in the example value in my case correspond to the spanish definition (my pc local settings) so just ignore them; it should render as "," for thousands and "." for decimals for you - in other words, respecting your local settings.

Paul on Linkedin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Were almost there, the right graph is the new one:

Capture.PNG

I changed the format to: -£#,##.##;-£#,##.##

But as you can see in the image, when the sum doesn't have any pence at the end, it just shows £15 instead of £15.00, any idea how I sort that?

kentyler
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Have you considered using a function like ABS() in a query to change all the numbers to positive ones. The label says "Expenses" and you could keep the red color.

I'm a personal Power Bi Trainer I learn something every time I answer a question

The Golden Rules for Power BI

1. Use a Calendar table. A custom Date tables is preferable to using the automatic date/time handling capabilities of Power BI. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxiAYGbCfAQ
  2. Build your data model as a Star Schema. Creating a star schema in Power BI is the best practice to improve performance and more importantly, to ensure accurate results! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Kilya6aUQw
  3. Use a small set up sample data when developing. When building your measures and calculated columns always use a small amount of sample data so that it will be easier to confirm that you are getting the right numbers.
  4. Store all your intermediate calculations in VARs when you’re writing measures. You can return these intermediate VARs instead of your final result  to check on your steps along the way.

Did this post answer your question? Mark it as a solution so others can find it!

Help when you know. Ask when you don't!